Notices

Definition of alcoholic

Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Definition of alcoholic

I am so annoyed at society's definition of an alcoholic. I was fooled by it for years and now I realise that having an issue with my own drinking was a sign that I was an alcoholic.
I always thought that I was a "heavy drinker" but that thinking did nothing for me but kept me stuck. Now I know I am an alcoholic because I crave another drink when I drink, I am relieved.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't care so much about the word "alcoholic", only knew I'd be better off without alcohol.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would not get caught up in the definitions - they mean nothing. Sort of like the past, nothing you can do about it. Its what you do going forward that matters. You should be thankful that you are realizing your problems now, most people don't.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
w2r

ExWinoMom; I know what you're saying. Its like the pressure is off.
Now we know that we don't have to drink anymore.

We can happily say goodbye to a lifestyle we really did not like.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

To me i see u answered ur own question. regardless of society and what they think, alot is in denial anyway and keep doing what they do. Its us who try and fight it and know our problem is that is saves alot of money. Also i know the ones who wont or cant,but then i cant explain that as im one who is trying and doing.

Forget about others, u need to be doiing it for yourself, all the help for others is diffrent to me.

sry prob dont make much sense. xx
Old 10-16-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ExWinoMom View Post
I am so annoyed at society's definition of an alcoholic. I was fooled by it for years and now I realise that having an issue with my own drinking was a sign that I was an alcoholic.
I always thought that I was a "heavy drinker" but that thinking did nothing for me but kept me stuck. Now I know I am an alcoholic because I crave another drink when I drink, I am relieved.
Good for you EXWinoMom

For myself I was in denial of the true nature and severity of my drinking....in hoping I was a heavy drinker or problem drinker I foolishly kept to the thought I could moderate my drinking.

Once I accepted I had the disease of alcoholism that shut the door. It still took awhile to quit....but now it became foolish and deadly to drink...not just a problem.

There are several stages to alcoholism also, from early stage to chronic. Again just for me: It is a deadly but treatable disorder....I think a term that shouldn't be taken lightly or denied.

My illness really doesn't care if I put a name to it....but my recovery certainly does.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't plan on wearing the "alcoholic" banner. I read in a book recently that when the author had quit drinking, people would ask him, "Oh, are you an alcoholic?" He looked at the absurdity of that - the people drinking a poisonous drug were asking the one NOT drinking a poisonous drug if he was the alcoholic. he he he He also said why don't we call heroin users Heroinaholics. I think I am waking up to the idea that alcohol is a drug that is poisonous to anybody's mind, body and soul and so I choose not to put it into my body _ no labels needed.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Double dragons I agree, no body should put that **** in their bodies. The definition of alcoholic had me fooled, I always thought I wasn't that bad. But that kept me in the bubble. Thank God it burst. Any amount of alcohol in anyone is bad.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I just look at the equation: me + alcohol = misery. It was clear that alcohol was causing problems and they were getting worse even though the quantity I was drinking was stable and even declining slightly. There was only one solution to end the misery, quit drinking. I now consider myself an alcohol addict and believe anyone can become addicted to alcohol if they abuse it long enough.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I don't plan on wearing the "alcoholic" banner. I read in a book recently that when the author had quit drinking, people would ask him, "Oh, are you an alcoholic?" He looked at the absurdity of that - the people drinking a poisonous drug were asking the one NOT drinking a poisonous drug if he was the alcoholic. he he he He also said why don't we call heroin users Heroinaholics. I think I am waking up to the idea that alcohol is a drug that is poisonous to anybody's mind, body and soul and so I choose not to put it into my body _ no labels needed.
There is an "Ah ha" moment in here for me.

Thank you !!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I shall wear no scarlet letter. I am a person afflicted with problems I can hold at bay by not pouring alcohol in my mouth and living a good meaningful life. I have no use for labels, save my name.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Society has a lot of labels that are not true and not fair. The key is realizing that those labels are utterly meaningless and that we have the power to take care of ourselves. Glad you've found that as well.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I think it is sadder yet that we need to meet some individual criteria for alcoholic in order to stop. I too don't subscribe to the label (although I likely meets its criteria). It apparently just took me over 25 years to give up something that was crushing my self esteem and personal development as well as ruining my finances, relationships and endangering my life and the lives of others.

I certainly understand your relief in acceptance or surrender though. I apparently needed gobs and gobs and gobs of evidence to make a sound determination : )