View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
wiscsober

Originally Posted by ExWinoMom View Post
I am so annoyed at society's definition of an alcoholic. I was fooled by it for years and now I realise that having an issue with my own drinking was a sign that I was an alcoholic.
I always thought that I was a "heavy drinker" but that thinking did nothing for me but kept me stuck. Now I know I am an alcoholic because I crave another drink when I drink, I am relieved.
Good for you EXWinoMom

For myself I was in denial of the true nature and severity of my drinking....in hoping I was a heavy drinker or problem drinker I foolishly kept to the thought I could moderate my drinking.

Once I accepted I had the disease of alcoholism that shut the door. It still took awhile to quit....but now it became foolish and deadly to drink...not just a problem.

There are several stages to alcoholism also, from early stage to chronic. Again just for me: It is a deadly but treatable disorder....I think a term that shouldn't be taken lightly or denied.

My illness really doesn't care if I put a name to it....but my recovery certainly does.