Notices

Advice for Chronic Pain Inpatient

Old 10-15-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for Chronic Pain Inpatient

I hope that someone in this forum can answer some questions for me about detoxing off of prescribed medication.

I suffer from an illness called reflexive systemic dystrophy, an illness that causes very high levels of chronic pain. I've been prescribed fentanyl for over five years, and I'm currently on 100mg every 48 hours. I don't abuse this medication, take it as prescribed, and although it has been helpful to some degree, I'm finding that the side effects are growing so bad that it's not worth taking this medication any longer.

I know how terrible withdrawal from fentanyl is, because I had to suffer through 24 hours of it when I had a bad patch at the end of my regular month supply, and couldn't get through to my doctor for over a day (it was a weekend). I am 53, and not in the kind of health that can take the kind of concentrated illness that fentanyl withdrawal causes. I have health insurance.

My question to you guys is this: Does anyone know how I can be detoxed off of this drug safely? Does insurance cover the procedure?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post

My question to you guys is this: Does anyone know how I can be detoxed off of this drug safely? Does insurance cover the procedure?

Thanks guys.
most all health providers (doctors) will help with this

they would prefer we take no drugs if possible

saves them money - plus best for most

Mountainman
Old 10-15-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know a couple people who used fentanyl and were switched to methadone (medically not maintenance from a clinic). They were cancer patients and used the methadone prescribed from their doctors.

Do you have a plan for your pain management or have discussed any of this with your doctor?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes best to talk with your doctor, they know best.