Notices

Real sickness not self imposed

Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Real sickness not self imposed

Well, I wake up this morning feeling.... not to well. I thought I would shake it off by the time the coffee hit my system. No such luck. However, as I am nursing my sore throat and trying to warm up, I realize that I have not felt sick since the last time that I drank alcohol. (If my memory serves me correctly)

So, I went on an adventure in my head about all the times that I was sick from alcohol. Needless to say, I was hungover a few times a week and If I was not hungover I was on the verge of being hungover daily. I tended to my responsibilities and what not, but I was not healthy. I am not sure how I did it and I am not sure how others do it? It was horrible. It was a lot of work and for some reason it seemed worth it at the time. Well, not at the time. The night before was supposedly worth it. The next day was always a nightmare.

So, today I do not feel well because I have caught a virus. My husband has it also. I am fine with it. Being sick because you are sick is great!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Feel better Mizz. And take care of yourself. This too shall pass.

XO AO
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mizz, I hear you on that one! I was sick last week for the first time since I got sober and it was kind of amazing. I could actually go to work and...work...even though I was sick. Usually my sicknesses were accompanied by hangovers or my hangovers were so bad I made myself sick so I certainly couldn't function much less work.

I was walking around last week with a mild headache and the lovely burning eyeballs and nausea thing going on and thinking, "Holy sh1t, I actually used to do this to myself. This is what I remember feeling most days with a hangover..how the eff did I ever get anything done??"

I also got over being sick about 100xs faster now that I am not drinking. Amazing what our immune systems and organs can do when not spending most of their time trying to deal with deliberate poisoning.

Feel better.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is an interesting thread...I too am sick for the first time since coming clean 57 days ago from causes I didn't cause. And I am angry at myself. I want to use so bad. My DOC would fix this (in my addict head anyway) and I want so badly to stop this crappy feeling. Using would do that. Using would also make it impossible for me to take care of myself, do my job or take care of anything important to me. Sitting here with a massive headcold and a huge headache - and general maliase is looking a living life on life's terms and I am going to admit - I am powerless again this...surrender here I come. And this is truly i see a gift from God.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellomynameis View Post
This is an interesting thread...I too am sick for the first time since coming clean 57 days ago from causes I didn't cause. And I am angry at myself. I want to use so bad. My DOC would fix this (in my addict head anyway) and I want so badly to stop this crappy feeling. Using would do that. Using would also make it impossible for me to take care of myself, do my job or take care of anything important to me. Sitting here with a massive headcold and a huge headache - and general maliase is looking a living life on life's terms and I am going to admit - I am powerless again this...surrender here I come. And this is truly i see a gift from God.
Use a cup of tea and let yourself rest. You and I will get better a lot quicker if we just let the virus do its thing. Im building my immune system with pro-biotics, super greens, and when I get to work (in a little bit) I will be eating a ton of Vit C.
I can understand the anger. We will make it through and be better off for it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, being sick sucks but it feels weird the first time you actually are ill and not just hungover!