Notices

Checking In

Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking In

I've finally understood the benefits of just taking it 'one day at a time,' focusing each morning on "what can I do to value myself today?" I'm also beginning to notice my stress and anxiety levels dropping, something that hasn't occurred in years. My therapist has been instrumental in helping me achieve that, but I also attribute that to my eliminating alcohol and toxins from my body.

It's amazing what we're able to accomplish once we put our minds to it!

I've been without a drink for 5 days, currently on my 6th.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Nuff' said.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent work, Piglet! Well done! Keep on keeping on!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea Piglet! Rock On!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you tell me what steps you have taken, how you manage the stress/anxiety so that they don't take over? I am having the opposite - my anxiety and stress and depression comtinue to ramp up the more clean days I am getting.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're feeling better. Sober living really rocks.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hellomynameis - absolutely!

Keep in mind, I've been attempting sobriety for almost a year now. I'd tried a number of different methods that have finally enabled me to get to where I am today.

I used to be the type of person that always had to be doing something, always checking items off my list, always pleasing others, always striving for "perfection." So stress, anxiety and depression were inevitable for trying to maintain this type of lifestyle.

Here are some things I've done:

* first, I realize it's ok to be human
* I wake up every morning envisioning a great day, and what that includes
* I incorporate at least one pleasurable activity into my day - for me, i read
* Exercise! I know it's difficult when you're feeling down, but those endorphins are the best medicine for depression

When I start to feel anxious or nervous, I take a moment to remind myself this feeling isn't permanent and it will pass. It's temporary. Accept the feeling, be thankful that you're able to feel these emotions rather than drink them away. And breathe.

At first, I didn't have much success. But the more I practiced that mentality, the more I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders after that deep breath. It's taught me how to live in the moment - mindfulness is certainly something I never thought I'd be practicing.

I find myself taking deep breaths A LOT. And I find more and more relief with each one.

I hope that helps! Feel free to keep in touch with me and share your progress, or if you just need to talk to someone.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your feeling better hellomynameis and Piglet22 these are all great suggestions. I'm happy for your success.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks a lot!!!! I have been feeling really down since stopping about 57 days ago and as I near my 60 day birthday - I am slipping on some things that took me this far. THanks for the reminder..
Old 10-15-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Is it just me or does your post have a wonderful quality about it? A quality of living and being with not drinking being almost a secondary condition. As if a burden has been lifted, just a sense I got from reading, I hope that it is true. You deserve it( we all do) and it certainly suits , it's seems as if a corner has been turned, wish you well
Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

dwtbd - That's exactly how I feel, as though a burden's been lifted. It's nice to hear that it's coming through in my posts. Thank you for that!