Notices

Day 1 yet again

Old 10-11-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 yet again

After two and a half months sober I went on vacation and talked myself into believing that I could just drink for the weekend. Now, two months later, I've hit bottom again. I've taken today and Monday off work and will be spending my time in meetings and with people who know what I'm going through.

I'll also be on SR a lot - you helped me more than you will ever know the last time I got sober.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're back giving it another go.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are here and trying again snipe. It sounds like you know what you need to do. Best of luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sgs

You helped me today--i am day57 and doing well--i was thinking that i could go to overnight conference with a friend and just drink that one night--no way--so your experience helped me so let us help you.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you're back, too. I talked myself into believing I could do some controled drinking so many times it's pathetic, but once that first drink hit my gullet all bets were off.
It hasn't changed today. I've been given a daily repreive form that first drink. If I don't take it, I won't get drunk.
Time to reboot and start again. I never gave up hope that I could stop drinking. Through the grace of God, it's been two years nine months now.

Best to you.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good morning Snipe, So happy you turned to us for support. SR is that family member that always believes in you and is willing to offer you support. You know our number...TF
Old 10-11-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Never give up giving up, Snipe. Rooting for you!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. I'm on day 5 today... I actually had a pint next to my bed last night because I started to " feel better " from the hangover.... I say there going back and forth all day yesterday knowing that I had that next to my bed. It was driving me insane. I picked up my bible and started reading it and out if nowhere, I got up with the bottle and dumped it down the drain..... No more going back in forth in my head for the rest of the night.... It felt really good to wake up this morning knowing today was day 5 instead of day 1 again....
Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep trying! There is no other alternative. You're doing the right thing. I personally don't know of anyone who broke a habit or controlled an addiction in just one try. The important thing is that you try again.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for the helpful post, snipe. I am coming up on 2 months sober. During the past few days I have been having frequent thoughts of drinking again. The circumstances are there - girlfriend going out of town, I will have lots of alone time with not a lot to do this weekend, etc., etc. I have been having dreams about drinking again. My AV is telling me it is ok to just take a short break from sobriety and get back to it on Monday.

Your post has helped to convince me that it would be a very, very bad idea to that. So, I will not drink this weekend.

Good luck with your renewed commitment to sobriety. And thank you again for helping me renew my own commitment.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by snipe View Post
After two and a half months sober I went on vacation and talked myself into believing that I could just drink for the weekend. Now, two months later, I've hit bottom again. I've taken today and Monday off work and will be spending my time in meetings and with people who know what I'm going through.

I'll also be on SR a lot - you helped me more than you will ever know the last time I got sober.
I did this once. Drank myself right back to where I was again. I think once you get that you cannot drink ever, you will be at the point where you are ready to do some work. Don't beat yourself up! Today's your day to start your new life!