Notices

All Set and Scared to Death

Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All Set and Scared to Death

I guess my experience with opiate addiction is a very common one. Three years ago, I had a cervical spine injury that resulted in nerve damage even after the anterior discectomy and fusion. Enter the Vicodin. I am in health care, so I knew what a dangerous road I was going down, but the pain was so severe that I was willing to take my chances...Looking back, I wish I had explored other options.

I am tired of being an addict. I tried to justify my use with the fact that I have legitimate pain, but taking a pill to relax or escape stress has absolutely nothing to do with pain. I visited a pain management doctor who will help me with the pain without narcotics and made an appointment with my PCP, where I get the Vicodin prescribed. Scared as all heck, I went in today and was completely honest with him about my concerns and my goals. Together, we put a plan into place to have a safe taper over the next 30 days and dealing with the withdrawals.

When I come off completely, I will be on vacation and can take ten days to take it easy, but I am beginning to gather my support system now. I am going to find a twelve-step program locally (I have been to meetings supporting a friend in AA) and am going to come here often, especially when my addict brain is trying to mess with me.

So, I have my ammo and I am ready. Actually, I am beyond ready.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Another familiar part--Being in healthcare. There are a lot of us who are/were hooked on prescription pills. I don't know if it's because we know the people who can prescribe it and they give us the benefit of the doubt, if it's because it is so easily available to us, or both. At my workplace, I know of four people who have thrown their entire careers away because of prescription medication abuse. While I have never stolen medications, it is such a slippery slope that all I can say is "There but for the grace of God go I."
Old 10-10-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

keep us updated with your progress

Originally Posted by ZoomZoom8 View Post

we put a plan into place to have a safe taper over the next 30 days and dealing with the withdrawals

sounds like a solid plan

we are behind you 100%

please - keep us updated with your progress

Mountainman
Old 10-10-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck! I wish the best with your taper and recovery plan. Rooting for you!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Zoom, so good to see you here. Please come here more and talk. We are all going through out struggles and it helps us all. Hope everything works out, and pray the taper goes well. Great job on being honest, and for looking into a support program. That has been one part of my journey I have never done, is found a good program and stuck with it. I know that will help you for sure. Proud of you!