Poem written by brother in prison

Old 10-04-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Poem written by brother in prison

Please let me know what u think of this poem. My brother is in prison & very lost. I want to send him any feedback I get. I think his poetry is good but ya'lls opinion.

He's been gone for awhile, you can tell by his tracks
If he sticks to that path, there will be no turning back
Plunged into this journey without checking the maps
A little further each time he drains this rig of its gas

Faster-n-faster once you pass the speed bumps
Every missed opportunity, evident by the lumps
The machine breaking down with the more fuel that it pumps
Why stay grounded when you can soar with the jumps

Life is a journey, there's no destination
Rushing to get nowhere, and still we keep racing
Life through this metal tunnel, steady just wasting
Never seem to run out of fuel, lower gas prices were chasing

I packed this vehicle with all the **** I swapped for my hope
I gladly tear a new hole right after I tie off this rope
I plunge away all my pain, so with life I can cope
It's a runaway rig pack plum full of this dope

FYI: my brother is crystal meth addict

Thanks for reading; please comment so I have something to send him.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That was a very compelling read. I hope your brother continues to analyze his relationship with that evil substance, continues to write it down; and most importantly reads it when he is on the other side of those walls. Best wishes to you and him.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think he is very talented at writing and writing poetry is a good way to journal, so I hope he continues.

As the mother of an addict, I find that poem hard to read. My son is also a meth addict and it's just too close to home for me. But that doesn't mean it's not a good poem, it probably means that it IS good. Just hard for me to read.

Your brother is in my prayers, that he can find his peace in prison and find a better path for living his life.

Hugs
Old 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TMZ

At least he is making good use of his time. I think he should continue writing them and save them so when he gets out he can see the progress he has made. Maybe even sharing them with others as they go through recovery.

It was enlightening for me to read. I always like to see how the addict thinks and feels inside. My AS's are heroin addicts, and don't share much like that.

To your brother; Now you have a destination to go and time to find the way. Life is constantly changing so there is hope. You have value to this world you just need to figure out what it is. The answer is not hidden in the dope. Sometimes it is the pain we go through that makes us appreciate the good things and makes us grow. Keep writing and sending your poems and thoughts.

Be well,
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been saving them. He mails them to me & I type them for him. He used to be a heroin addict before crystal, he just prefers crystal. He wrote constantly while on heroin. I will never forget the sickness I felt unfolding the bathroom towel & finding syringes & small plastic bags with dark stuff inside.

Any how, herion addicts can have a creative side as well; I don't think it matters what their drug of choice is.

Thanks for your comment, I will send what is said on here to my brother.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

It's a very good poem. I think that's how most addicts feel.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the poem, it is helpful to me, I mean it gives insight for me because my husband was injecting when he relapsed. They have him writing some in rehab but he hasnt shared it with me yet. I think your lucky your brother is sharing with you. I hope he can keep writing the poems, keep pouring out his feelings and work through to see the light and hope on the other side. Does he write about that also? Removed from those memories yet? I think everyone needs a concept of life after, without. Tell him they are beautiful because its coming from his soul.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I really enjoyed it - we can feel his regret & pain. It sounds like he's learned a lot & is tired of that life. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My son is a heroin addict and I know he has used needles. I don't think he's been doing too long but I remember seeing the track marks one day for the first time. I immediately got lighted headed, my heart dropped, and I actually felt like fainting. I just wanted to disappear I think he was just as devastated as I was at the shock of look of desperation and trauma. He actually had to help me walk. It was a shocking moment for both of us. I thought to myself, What is pain he is feeling to compel him to do this? I might not ever know. He does share his feelings but maybe not all the details...probably doesn't want to shock me more than he has. That's why I encourage him to see his therapist because maybe I don't want to know all the gory details that would cause more pain in my heart and I can't fix.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well the pain is evident as was said.
And he knows too, where the road leads.
It seems too close still…

Words as windows to the soul.

Take good care of yourself.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will post another poem tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think your brother has a good insight on his drug problem and has a good way of putting it into words. I think this is a great way for him to get him feelings out and learn more about his self. I will keep him in my prayers I agree that maybe one day he could share with others I do think it could be helpful.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dear Mybrother, That, too, was a difficult poem for me to read, but I did read it four times now. Pain is painful, and it lingers. Your brother sounds like he never wants to go back...does the facility he is in offer NA or any support groups he can share his feelings and excellent writing skills with? You're a good sister to support your brother, tons of families give up especially when drugs are involved. Don't give up on him, but do give him hope, sobriety is waiting for him when he gets out. Take care, TF
Old 10-06-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The last couple lines got me... dealing with pain and unable to cope.

“Not all addictions are rooted in abuse or trauma, but I do believe they can all be traced to painful experience. A hurt is at the centre of all addictive behaviors. It is present in the gambler, the Internet addict, the compulsive shopper and the workaholic. The wound may not be as deep and the ache not as excruciating, and it may even be entirely hidden—but it’s there. As we’ll see, the effects of early stress or adverse experiences directly shape both the psychology and the neurobiology of addiction in the brain.”

“No society can understand itself without looking at its shadow side.”

Dr. Gabor Maté, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction
This might be a book your brother would enjoy reading. My husband and I both read it, and we both really liked it. You can look it up on amazon....