Notices

We are all Connected

Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We are all Connected

In my line of work, people will come in with a last ditch effort to help themselves or their loved ones from whatever is ailing them. I was guided by my supervisor to help a woman who's husband was in the hospital with Cirrosis of the liver. The more we talked, her story was of years of heartache and pain surrounding Alcoholism. He was getting a blood transfusion and being put on a waiting list for a liver transplant. The requirement's laid out by the doctor was that in order for him to be able to have the transplant, he needed to get into a program of Recovery.

The only thing that I could really focus on was her. I asked how she was doing? If she had support? Was she still in her home? Was he ready to stop drinking? Was she alright? How are the children?

Out of a whole store of remedies for healthy living the only thing that could be provided was compassion and the address to the nearest Al-Anon meeting with a phone number. I wrote down the local AA number and then gave her the longest hug. I told her that she needed to be able to talk about this with people who have gone through the same.

I think people are placed before us with a message and if anything I was a shoulder for her to lean on. I don't know how much I helped her, but I know that I was grateful for her presence and the fact that she was comfortable enough to share with me. I wish I could have done more. As we all know there is nothing that we can do but offer the tools that others have provided for us.

So, that was yesterday. I don't know why I am sharing this. We are all connected.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Thank you for sharing this and I agree totally!

We are all connected, and I believe too, that people cross our paths for a reason. I try to remember that each day, but I'm not always successful.

I needed this reminder. Looking for ways to be useful to others gets me out of myself and my own whiny troubles.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

You know I truly believe everything is for a reason. This woman was put in front of you and being your , you , she was in the best of hands.

God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers

Tr
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I think people are placed before us with a message and if anything I was a shoulder for her to lean on. I don't know how much I helped her, but I know that I was grateful for her presence and the fact that she was comfortable enough to share with me. I wish I could have done more.

...I don't know why I am sharing this. We are all connected.
....and this was placed before me with a message. I am grateful. Thank you.

Mizz, I think that helping others is true happiness. Sounds like you were in the moment and the perfect person for her to talk to. I hope that feels good to you, even though you couldn't "fix" her problem. You were there to push her forward maybe.

Thank you again for these thoughts. They really helped me.