Notices

Son and sister addicted to heroin and pain killers.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Son and sister addicted to heroin and pain killers.

I am here today because I have been affected by addiction with the ones I loved for the last few years. Really it started with my sister, but at that point I did not recognize there was an issue...
Until my 21 year old sons best friend told us he had issues with pills. It was an out of body experience. First the whys, whens and how...As much as we spoke , there was really no explanation. Addiction was not part of our home reality , or at least we were not aware that it was growing all around us.
My husband chose denial, what created major issues in my house.
Im one to take care of it now!!!!
We sent him to a rehab for 30 days...One that is know all over the country for being the best..We did groups, meetings , therapy and all that they allowed us to participate.
Things just were not making too much sense to me. The kids there looked lost within their feelings, anger like there was no world outside themselves.
My husband was a bit more positive. He believed all would be well after those 30 days. Then sober leaving for 60 days came. Meetings. New girlfriend from rehab ( I was not crazy about the idea) , it smelled trouble.
My son relapsed with her and now (without my knowledge) it was heroin. He actually graduated to harder drugs. My home became unbearable, broken promise, relapses, steeling , constant victim position and my husband in full denial.
Until he got arrested buying heroin...I was soooo angry, so exhausted. Decided to take it in my hands. Look for the best detox in the country, best therapist to help rebuild my relationship with my son and husband.
I took him to a rapid detox in Orange county that has the best success rate for heroin addiction. They detox him he was there for a 10 days stay and have been going to therapy since.
It will be 2 years in December , he is back in school, working and learning to deal with sadness and frustration instead of medicating it...
Since the I have taken my sister to this same detox for painkiller addiction. She had back issues for over 10 years and I learned while treating my son about a condition called hyperalgesia , that made so much sense and she is doing great for almost a year.
Now I have a battle with a wonderful friend..But I guess she is not ready yet.
It just seems that when I decided to open my eyes I found it has been all around me all his time. I learned not to judge , but to support any chance for healing and treatment. So for all of you out there...There is hope, its possible to but this issue behind...
Old 09-28-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a great place for support. We also have a special forum for friends and families of substance abusers. You might be interested in it.