Notices

Hello everyone. 8 days sober

Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dcd
Diana

Hello everyone. 8 days sober

Boy 8 days sober does not sound like much. It is when you drink like I did daily. I just want to say hello to all. I am new to the site and find it very helpful. Right now in my life is the big book, AA, shows on alcoholism, and this site. I have a very supportive husband who is here for me too. I just want to say how helpful reading all of these post's are to me. One thing I am afraid of is how to live life without alcohol. I know one day at a time and keeping myself out of situations that make it hard will be the key. I live in Florida (10 yrs now) and this place is tropical. Seems everything around me makes me want to drink. I am an x drug addict. Got clean in 1995 and never thought I would have to do this. I should of known better. I did the steps myself without a sponsor in NA which is most likely why I didn't put them to use before I became and alcoholic. I am going to AA meetings now and will find a sponsor to work my steps with me this time. We can do this. :
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome DCD - I am new at this step #4 and 30 days today actually. I feel like I have walked through the "valley of death" over the past four weeks and been reborn. Its not to say I am not without my struggles. Its great yur husband is supportive - my wife told me she was getting clean and sober yesterday (I am on a 2 week biz trip) and she just called drunk - empty promises.

Okay, so Big Book was critical for me - shares some clicked and some did not. But understanding why I was doing some of these things was helpful. Sober Living is another good one and 12 steps and 12 traditions.

Getting a support network in place and a great sponsor is key two if you can. I think working with someone to study the steps and pull you through will be really critical since you went alone the first time and perhaps did not fully get there.

Post away - we are a welcoming group and genuinely want to see you succeed.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dcd
Diana

I wrote down those books. I knew there were more then just the big book. Thank you so much. You know I am so happy my husband does not like to drink. I watched that movie last night called Smashed and I looked at him and thought thank God you do not drink. I would never get sober. He use to call me from work and he knew if I just took a sip of alcohol because I changed instantly. Good job on 30 days. I got there a couple months ago and drank my 31st day. I was not in any program, but doing it alone. I was going out to dinner with in laws and knew they drank, but I know I can handle it if at dinner. The difference is I eat and leave not stay after to drink. The problem I did not plan on was when picking them up they had appetizers and any drink I wanted ready. My hubby sat down and I started going crazy inside. I got the shakes and just angry. I told my husband it was to soon for me to be in this situation and walked in the kitchen to drink myself silly. I got so messed up and it took a month to even get to where I was ready to quit again. Here I am and I will never put myself in that situation again. I know now that I will stay strong and will not be ashamed to say I am not coming to Thanksgiving if there is going to be alcohol that day. If that is to much then so be it. The AA meetings and this site are helping me to see what other unplanned things may come up. I know I will not always be prepared so I need to get strong. Boy did I just write a novel or what? lol
I hope that your wife will find her way. If she is like me she might just be making it that last big drunk fest before she has to say goodbye to it. It is like losing a friend at first. Thank you again and keep up the good work.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on 8 day sober! Coming from someone who would also drink heavily every day, I know what a victory every day is sober. You sound very determined and you can make this happen!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Dcd, 8 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi dcd, welcome and I hope you find SR a useful resource !

I was like you when I started going to AA and trying to stay stopped. The thought of not drinking forever used to freak me out. In fact, I would have a drink to steady my nerves so that I could embrace that concept

I think this is why AA keep saying Just for Today as the thought of forever is simply too daunting. I couldn't grasp that concept especially when I was used to planning for the future and dwelling in the past. For me the key was to live in the present and not worry about the future (which can be the next week, day, hour). I can plan for the future but I am 'present' in the now. By simply focusing on now, I get through the day. Then its a case of repeat the next day when the next day comes.

I hope this helps ! Stay calm, strong and sober !!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome dcd

D
Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dcd
Diana

Thank you everyone. You are great
Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

DCD
hello welcome, good job on your soberity! nice to meet you . hope you stay around
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DCD, glad you are here and congrats on 8 days!