Notices

Great physical improvements

Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Great physical improvements

Hi,

I'm on day 39 now and I'm noticing some great physical improvements:

- Losing weight. I've lost 13 pounds. And I did not exercise at all. In fact, since I've been very tired during recovery, I've not gotten much movement at all. All I did was eating healthy, which was the same as when I was drinking. I did always make sure that I ate well and continue to do so.

- Eyesight. About a year ago I had to get my eyes checked out and it turns out I have 20/10 vision. Though, when they tested it, I was hungover and very tired. I know I didn't see as well as I usually do. So it's probably better than 20/10.

However, I noticed that reading things became increasingly difficult. The last couple of months of my drinking and in the first 4 weeks of my sobriety, I had trouble reading things. I noticed this when I was looking at the ingredients list on a bottle of multivitamins. It was hazy and I could only read it when I focused really hard and even then I couldn't make out everything.

Today I wanted to have a look at the ingredients again because I wanted to know how much vitamin D they contain. Crystal clear. I could read it effortlessly.

It appears that the drinking impaired my eyesight as well and it's coming back.

The longer I'm sober and the more I heal, the more I realize how much alcohol had damaged me. There are the obvious things that you notice while drinking. But the less obvious things become clear the longer you're sober.

Sobriety is a blessing!

J.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 39

Great to hear how good you're feeling J, and its really nice when people tell you how much better you look, little do they know the full reason eh..

Keep on, its obviously working!

L x
Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 39 days sober James. Yes... the physical improvements are just one of the many blessings of sobriety. I notice the improvements in every aspect of my life just keep getting better the more sober time i have.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fdm

Congrats on 39 and on the positive changes you're seeing.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Keep up the good work! It can take up to 6 months for your body to return to normal. You're already a good way through now!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking messed with my vision, blood pressure, gastrointestinal system, mental clarity, reading comprehension, fine motor skills, and other things in noticeable ways too. I was only drinking heavily for four to five years, and it has been seriously noticeable. It sounds like I should improve with abstinence (on day 3 now).

Thanks for the OP. Glad to hear you're doing better, James.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that James. I find myself very interested in the details of recovery, especially improvements to physical capabilities. I think we would all agree that there are huge mental and emotional benefits but sometimes the physical ones are less quantifiable, or less discussed. At about a month in I have found my physical endurance improving and also a reduction in some of the foot pain I used to get on the bike when pedaling long distances, probably from nerve damage. Cheers.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad your doing well I know you were struggling with low energy before you body should start picking up it pace, its truly amazing hiw our minds and bodies can heal!