Notices

dreams????

Old 09-17-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dreams????

I am on day 82 and I still am having dreams.....actually more like nightmares fairly often. I dream that I drink and have to start over to day one again. In my dream I am extremely devastated and wake up in tears. It is always such a relief when I realize it was only a dream. Anyone else have dreams similar to this? I think that is one thing that has helped keep me sober. I do NOT want to feel in real life how I feel in my dreams. I feel like I have come so far now and I LOVE BEING SOBER!!!!!! Best decision I have ever made
Old 09-17-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes-my dreams are overwhelming. I woke up sobbing yesterday morning. My dreams are so powerful and real. Even though some are sad, it feels good to feel the emotion.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Drinking dreams are very common.

When I was concerned about them they got worse.

When I relaxed and quit worrying they went away.

They are harmless and a good reminder to be thankful for staying sober.

Congratulations on day 82!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funny you should mention it...I'm going on five years and had a drinking dream last night. This rarely happens anymore, and when it does, I usually have been tricked into drinking or drink alcohol by mistake. Last night (in my dream) I took a big drink of what I thought was a soda and it was wine. I have had similar dreams about eating meat since I became a vegetarian. I always wake up slightly frightened that it had really happened and I'm relieved when I didn't.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is very common. Drinking dreams are emotional and sucky, but they are just dreams. I still get them and the other night I had 4 in a row. In the dreams I was very demoralized but the instant I opened my eyes the bad feelings were gone. An improvement. I think with time they will decrease. Also think if we train our brains a little, we can wake up knowing that in real life we are solidly sober.

Keep it up you are doing great!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had the drinking dream a few times over the past two weeks and I always wake up disturbed. Then I realize it was just a dream and all is well after a few minutes of calming down.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been sober since May of 2012 and still have drinking dreams...in them I am either trying to get more alcohol in a situation where it is hard (people around, etc.) or I drink and realize "Crap! I have blown it" "Can I spit it out?" (after a few glasses!)...and wonder in my dream how I am going to feel the next day. Then I wake up and actually feel relieved! One am it took me about 10-15 minutes to realize that it had just been a dream though! Ironically almost every time I start thinking a drink sounds good, I have one of these dreams. I think of them as helping me to stay sober!

Congratulations on 82 days!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susasober1 View Post
I have been sober since May of 2012 and still have drinking dreams...in them I am either trying to get more alcohol in a situation where it is hard (people around, etc.) or I drink and realize "Crap! I have blown it" "Can I spit it out?" (after a few glasses!)...and wonder in my dream how I am going to feel the next day. Then I wake up and actually feel relieved! One am it took me about 10-15 minutes to realize that it had just been a dream though! Ironically almost every time I start thinking a drink sounds good, I have one of these dreams. I think of them as helping me to stay sober!

Congratulations on 82 days!
Thank you everyone for your feedback. And susasober, that's funny because I have dreamed the same thing. The spitting out I can totally relate to.