Confused

Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused

I have an unusual situation in my home. I have been with my husband since he was 17 years old. He was a heavy drinker/drug user up until the age of 24. He was arrested a few time for alcohol related nonsense. At the age of 24, when I left town with our 2 year old daughter, he was in a drunk driving accident. After that he stopped drinking. He attended a short outpatient treatment center but didn’t finish. He attended AA meetings about 4 times. The next time I know of that he drank was 5 years later when he was out with friends and I was pregnant with our 3rd daughter. He said everyone else was drinking and he didn’t see why he couldn’t as well. Once or twice per year since then he drinks. It is either when I am out of town or he is out of town. It is always when I am not there. Usually he will make excuses for the extreme state of inebriation he was in, such as he didn’t realize a particular type of beer was 12% alcohol, or he didn’t know how potent jello shots were until it was too late. He get extremely intoxicated and makes does things like spend $200 on buying drinks for strangers at the bar. He goes to house parties in strange unfamiliar places. Five weeks ago (he is now 35 years old) he was in Dallas for work meetings, the first time he has been sent to a meeting and he got so drunk he was arrested for public intoxication and kicked out of the company’s hotel room. He was talked to at work and given information on therapy options. He isn’t losing his job but he could have. He has gone to the doctor who regulates his depression and ADHD medications for help but mentioned his extreme anger and not his drinking. He went to a therapist she recommended and talked about his anger but not his drinking. He keeps telling me he will address it but so far hasn’t. I don’t know what to do since it isn’t often he drinks but when he does it’s usually bad.