Notices

Hi Everyone, Im new to SR

Old 09-15-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone, Im new to SR

Hi Everyone, I'm new to Sober Recovery.

I've been binge drinking for the last 15 years. I know its starting to take its toll on my health, so I want to kick the habit once and for all before I do any serious damage and hope to reverse the damage I've already done.

I'm not new to quitting bad habits (cocaine, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, caffeine, sugar, Cable TV). When I quit smoking cigarettes 3 years ago after failing daily for years, I managed to stay quit because I avoided having that ONE cigarette. I knew from experience it would make me a pack a day smoker again. I know I have to apply the same mindset to drinking.

I've tried to stop drinking many many times as well. Because I didn't think drinking was nearly as damaging as cigarettes, I always thought I could control it and just have a few beers here and there. NOPE. One beer one day, turns to 3 the next, turns to 6 or more for the next few days, until I was too sick and needed to take a day off...I would repeat the cycle again and again. I learned I have no self control when it comes to drinking. I can't quit for a few months then have ONE drink. The pattern would repeat as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow. My goal is a simple one. Not to have that ONE drink.

I'm also giving up marijuana at the same time. Aside from enjoying being stoned, pot was my main crutch for giving up the harder drugs like cocaine and pharmaceuticals and was damage control for my drinking. It helped with the hangovers and when I smoked and drank I would drink no more than a 6 pack. Without it, the amount doubles. I love smoking pot but my addictive personality can't control that either; I was smoking 2 ounces a month. I tried to just save it for just before I go to bed but that never worked. Knowing I had it would make the temptation to have that 6 pack much easier. Not having it around, after the 6 pack, I couldn't help but wander to the store to get more beer, making the next day even worse to deal with.

I planned my quit day for alcohol and marijuana for 9/1/13, when I smoked the last of my stash. Well, I made it 3 days. Then on the 4th and 5th day I slipped and had 1 beer, 6th day 3 beers, and on the 7th I had 10 beers. The next morning wasn't that fun (I've had much worse hangovers). I figured planning my quit day was just stupid and would prolong my situation. The next day, Sept 8, 2013 I decided on 100% abstinence.

Anyway, I'm 8 days into my journey knowing damn well there's no destination. I won't be cured one day, I won't be able to have a drink with dinner or bong rip before bed and I'm ok with that.

Thanks for listening. See you around.

GR9813
Old 09-15-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Keep up that rigorous honesty as it will help you to find a new way of life. I was hopelessly addicted to smoking pot for years before I ever drank but then I added alcohol into the mix and things just went downhill from there. It sounds like you have broken through a lot of denial which is fantastic, and remember if you want the results of sober people observe what they do.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and well done for seeing your addictions for what they are x
Old 09-15-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gr9813 View Post
I figured planning my quit day was just stupid and would prolong my situation. The next day, Sept 8, 2013 I decided on 100% abstinence.
Planning a quit day is not ever worth it. When you plan a quit date, guess what you do for the next few days before that day? You drink / smoke / ? as much as possible and you have fear and anxiety the closer the day comes. "The day is here, my quit day, oh crap! Well, just 1 more beer / cigarette / ? before tonight ends"... The cycle continues on and on. A rare few have actually been successful, but most of us fail when we set a quit date.

I did the same thing as you, I woke up in the morning and said enough is enough. I didn't plan the date, it was just time to quit. Next month I'm 2 years sober from alcohol.

You have quit a lot, and that is outstanding to see! When you set your mind to it, you can do anything .

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marcher

Welcome, gr! Hope you read around the site and post as much or as little as you feel like. There's so much support here!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you gr. SR is an amazing place for support & friendship. I'm glad you see what needs to be done and are willing to kick alcohol out of your life. Some never acknowledge what it's doing to them. Glad to have you join the family.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congrats on 8 days
Old 09-15-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome!!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Gr You'll find lots of support here x
Old 09-15-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for being there. Its really refreshing to see how supportive everyone is. I've been looking around as a guest reading posts like crazy for the past week and finally got the courage to become a member, say hello and contribute where I can.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, loving your honesty. Congrats on 8 day, be proud!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

welcome to SR

I was a long time pot addict. I didn't realize it was addictive but for years I rarely went more than an hour without it. Youth... Mine was spent literally wasted. I did kick that addiction and went onto a new one (alcohol).

Anyhoo...there I go oversharing again. You're among friends and I do hope you find your way sober.