Notices

Sober depression

Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober depression

Well I am not drinking but I have difficulty going to sleep at a decent hour, I also want to sleep during the day and I have trouble concentrating. I think I am almost two weeks sober, I just feel bad living alone and having no one to talk to on the phone. I might ride out to the lake and see if that will help me feel better. It just feels like my life is over and I still miss my ex gf who never cared about me. All I want to do is read for class but I cannot concentrate at all and I miss my home state. My life feels like a nightmare, but I know booze would only make me worse. Maybe cleaning some more will help.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you feel this way Ach, did your Dr give you meds? X
Old 09-15-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A ride to the lake would probably improve my mood more than cleaining, but cleaning needs to be done.

Take care Acheleus.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I vote ride to the lake. Cleaning can be done later and your mood and your sobriety come first.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Acheleus, I have recently been reading some things about daylight and sleep patterns. It makes sense to me because I sleep in a room with blackout curtains, and it allows me to have odd sleep patterns.

What I have read recently has to do with natural daylight, and how important it is to get this to set your natural rhythms. (It was a study of people who went camping). Anyway, it is important to spend time outdoors and get enough daylight to have regular sleep patterns.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear that you feel down. I would try and do something that you enjoy to distract yourself. Try and keep yourself busy. I know its obvious but exercise or a change of scenery really helps me when i feel negative. Maybe you could try that. Things will get better if you stay focused on your sobriety. It just takes time. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sorry to hear about the sleeping, but that will settle out with time. the statement " I just feel bad living alone and having no one to talk to on the phone" got to me. go to a meeting, church or family that understands. get phone numbers. call people, but most of all get out of your own head. wish you well. KK
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to a park and walked the trails then came home and had lunch. Now I have to read all night. I guess I just want to sleep. I am soooo tired and feel worn out. I have to walk sonetime though.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One of my mantras in sobriety is "when in doubt, workout." This doesn't mean run a marathon (necessarily). Personally I always feel better even after light workout. I suffer from some sort of depression and often get down for no apparent reason. If I force myself to to do some exercise it usually helps. It's not always easy to do when I'm very tired, but still pays off.

If you're like me and not outgoing, it's easy to isolate yourself from the world. I'm still trying to figure this one out as the whole world around me drinks.

I hope this helps and I feel your pain!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorryyou feel like this, I felt bad in theearly months but read that it is normal to feel depressed in early sobriety whenyour brain is re wiring itself.

Can you see your doc? I found exercise really helpful and was at the gym most days in the early weeks. You will sleep eventually,for me it took about a month before I really felt tired at night and had proper restful sleep.

Maybe some face to face or group support would help you. Maybe an AA meeting-they do social events too which might be beneficial

Please don't give up though-ot really does get much better inthe second month
Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hang in there, Acheleus. Maybe you can put some music on while you read. This part of sobriety is tough. Talk to your doctor if your mood stays low. Best wishes!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just cannot get motivated to do my reading and writing a paper. I hate school and I just am not interested right now. I will rest and go for a walk/run. Still proud of myself for staying sober this weekend. Maybe I should go read with a coffee and some cigarettes.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

At this point in recovery, your emotions can be different than they would normally be. Plus you start to see what you lost because of the drinking.

Some things will still be things that you'll feel bad about. That's only natural. But you'll be able to handle it better once your emotions get back to their normal levels.

And... there's the future. Once your emotions are normal again, you'll be able to be more productive in building a new life.

Give it time and perhaps go see your doctor to ask if there's someone to talk to so that you won't be so alone. A counselor of some sorts. Or maybe AA meetings. It sounds like you could benefit from getting to know people who know exactly what it's like.

We're here. So you're not alone. In addition to that, finding support in real-life would be good for you I think.

Be well!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marcher

Do what will keep you sober. A walk always makes me feel better. But, you'll feel worse if you don't get the work done. Why not take the reading with you and see if you get a different perspective outdoors.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good news! An assignment due date got pushed back a few days, so I can breathe a little. I really want to quit school and teaching but I think I am just freaking out trying to deal with not drinking. Now in my sobriety I keep thinking of all the thongs I threw away while drinking, I never even grew up really, and so that is painful to accept. The past is taking up way too much space in my consciousness, and the future looks hopeless, but I am trying to tell myself that I have to believe I can improve my life, even though I feel like I will be alone for the rest of my life, and I have no family members to talk to. I also feel ashamed coming from a family full of suicides, depressives, alcoholics, and criminals. Plus they are all a little crazy, and I have been feeling loony myself lately.

I feel as if a meltdown is coming, not drinking, just total mental collapse

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u5VU8GJcg24
Old 09-16-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh yea I have a shrink and counselor but I think they are both sick of me lol

I think my alcoholic voice is frank booth