Notices

Does anyone play any online games?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone play any online games?

I've played World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2 before. But only as an excuse to get drunk. I'm looking for as many distractions as I can handle on my free time so I don't slip. Anyone else play online games? Playing them sober is no fun without friends that also play them
Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I play Big Farm. It requires patience and strategizing. Keeps me sane actually.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I play online chess...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had an online gambling addiction and stay away now. But one of my friends raves about the stress-releasing power of plants against zombies...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to play World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 but I was usually drunk and I haven't played in awhile. I'm thinking about picking up Final Fantasy XIII again and actually trying to beat it (sober this time). I also have The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword to play that I never started because I didn't want to do it drunk. Of course, neither of those are multiplayer...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try League of Legends, Diablo 3 or any number of Steam games especially TF2 and L4D2. If you need an mmorpg that isn't WoW, Neverwinter Online is ok, and Ultima Online (find a preT2A freeshard like uosecondage, is great.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, you may want to check in on https://www.humblebundle.com/ for their game deals. They rotate them often and you can score a ton of stuff to keep you busy for almost no money.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I want to play WoW as a hobby sober, but I know if I do, it will turn into my only hobby because it's so time consuming. I might stay away for now... do something a little less mindless.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to play wow alot until I "burnt out" a few years ago. Can't get serious about it again. I own guild wars 2 which is fun if more friends would play, havent played since winter but that's alcohols fault, I was getting too drunk to even manage to get from point a to b in the game world

Somewhat hoping for the upcoming sci-fi game wild star online, own but not currently subscribing to "ye olde Republic" and a few other mmorpgs.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WoW is still fun. I like to solo old raids with my ilvl 496 death knight (took a break for a couple months, so he's undergeared).

If I do play again, I'm going to do an experiment and see which old raid yields the most gold/hour if you solo it. I'll actually be able to keep track without the brain fog.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And just think, with the money you are saving from not buying alcohol it's like you are playing WoW for free
Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am in the process of moving I should be done next weekwould love to play some online games during the weekend keep me out of trouble I like some racing games in Red Dead Redemption sounds like fun
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to play Everquest years ago. It was actually one of my first hardcore addictions when I was in middle school. It was fun while it lasted, but that chapter closed in my book.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I was into most of the FPS games early in recovery. Never got into the RPG's though. After about two years, my gaming activity sure started to look like my old drinking activity. Escape, avoidance of responsibilities, doing what "felt good/made me happy NOW," and so on. Those were many of the same motivations behind drinking....only now they were popping up in something more socially acceptable and easy for me to accept. Well, it got to the point where that sort of behavior was no longer acceptable.......and it was starting to really do some damage in my life - just like the booze did.

Haven't played any of them in a couple years now.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports has free fantasy football leagues. You can even download the app onto your phone...and its free too.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There are so many online games out there it's impossible to play them all. I mostly play shooters and survival horror co-op games. There are some mmorpgs as well, played WoW for a short time, but then thought it wasn't my thing.

Most mmorpg games today are free too. There are many sites to explore and here is one: Free Online MMORPG and MMO Games List - OnRPG ...

Games like Black Ops, Killing Floor, SWAT4, Dead Island and then a load of random online games, even strategy.

What I've found out is that I enjoy games a lot more sober and can actually appreaciate them and get most out of them. I also used to drink and game a lot, but the truth is that after the initial buzz the stupid feeling takes over and the game experience is over for that part.

Have heard of guild wars but never tried it. Diablo 2 was always a classic.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I play a few. My favorite is Rift, I've been a paying subscriber for about 2 years now, since it first game out. I also play Neverwinter and Star Trek online . I don't play near as often as I used too, but gaming is still my main form of entertainment, especially in the winter when I can't ride.

I've actually found I enjoy gaming more now than sober. When I boot the game up the next day, I can actually remember how I got to where I was when I logged off. I can't tell you how many times I used to boot up the game and wonder how in the hell I got where I was. Sad.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BikerAcct View Post
I play a few. My favorite is Rift, I've been a paying subscriber for about 2 years now, since it first game out. I also play Neverwinter and Star Trek online . I don't play near as often as I used too, but gaming is still my main form of entertainment, especially in the winter when I can't ride.

I've actually found I enjoy gaming more now than sober. When I boot the game up the next day, I can actually remember how I got to where I was when I logged off. I can't tell you how many times I used to boot up the game and wonder how in the hell I got where I was. Sad.
Yeah I thought I had finished star craft 2 heart of the swarm.
Then over a month later I was in a game forum where there was mention of a final confrontation I could not remember. So I started the game and to my bafflement I had the final level left. In my drunkedness I thought busting the Raynor character out of captivity was the final level...

Yep thats drunken gaming, not to mention all those "random disconnects" late at night in wow when I passed out with my face on the keyboard.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I loved to play wow and SC2 while drunk... though I would get so drunk I would barely be able to play and I passed out in my computer chair in the middle of raids and dungeons more times then I care to admit.

I can't seem to get into wow these days. I played again just a few weeks ago but quickly lost interest.

I'm currently playing DC universe online... figured i might as well check it out since it was free to play. I don't see it holding me for years like wow did... but It should keep my busy playing for a few months.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great thread!

I'm big into my gaming, don't get enough time to do as much of it online as I'd like however. Currently playing Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars the old republic mmo wise.

Also playing through the mass effect games at the moment.

If any of you are on steam feel free to pm me and ill add you as a friend.