Notices

Sharing a thought

Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sharing a thought

I recognize that everyone's relationship with alcohol is different, and that the effects/fallout from that relationship are also different. Mine, for instance, has been a cycle of anxiety, self-doubt, a drive to be everything to everyone (and falling far short of that in MANY respects) - self-medicated by heavy drinking which was mostly concealed.

I believe I have said so in two of my many (just kidding -10) posts since joining a week or so ago.... I would not wish what we all have gone through on anyone. However, I am very thankful to have found SR. I don't necessarily think that I was naïve enough to think "I am the only one going through this," but I just had no idea that there were others out there like me, and that there was a forum to communicate things like are communicated here. I am trying to change the way I handle my thoughts, my behaviors. I know I'm early into sobriety, but reading through the posts here, checking in several times a day, has (so far) kept me focused. And more importantly, sober.

I'm not even a naturally sunny or optimistic person, by the way, so words like these are out of character.

So, thank you all. And have a great day!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome tides and congratulations.

I think that feeling of knowing you aren't alone is so invaluable. I know if I'm struggling, I will read something here I can relate to, which helps so much.

Makes all the difference, but yes, I never really considered there would be an online forum like this...wish I'd found it years ago.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In terms of what we all have in common I have found that nobody really understands alcohol addiction like another person who has gone through it. I went to my GP, was referred for counselling and once (some years ago now) saw a psychologist - all to no avail. It wasn't until I started to seek support from others who knew the ins and outs of it that I started to make progress. That is one reason why AA suits me. When I go to meetings I know that almost anything I say will be something someone else, or possible everyone else there has been through.

All the best to you!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome Tides...I think I had very similar thoughts when I joined here too.

I drank for many of the same reasons you did too.

my disposition improved greatly when I stopped drinking....who KNEW?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's funny. Not funny ha-ha, but funny strange.

Not having alcohol play a role in every single event or emotion in the evening is new ground for me. I am more patient with my son, less apt to "worry" when my wife is experiencing frustration or exasperation (with other things, not me... well sometimes me, but not because of drinking). I can't change what I have been, but I now realize how much I over-reacted to and internalized things.... and right now, it is nice to have removed alcohol from that equation.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good job tides! sounds like sobriety is starting to operate your keyboard

yea for you!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are here Tides! I know exactly what you mean about finding a forum like this. I have tried to quit in the past but now that I have this great community to keep me motivated, I feel far more equipped for success. 9 days sober today!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tides View Post
I know I'm early into sobriety, but reading through the posts here, checking in several times a day, has (so far) kept me focused. And more importantly, sober.
This really helped me.

Welcome!