Notices

Is it dangerous to detox if..

Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it dangerous to detox if..

Hi.
Im not a new member here but after failing a few times, im back on route one again.
I am just curious and a bit worried if I stop drinking ( i started this morning) after drinking all from half bottle to 1 bottle wine every day, will it harm me if i stop now? Im scared that Ive read someone can die if they stop drinking
Old 09-02-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sophia and welcome (back) to SR If you're worried about stopping, please do see your doctor
Old 09-02-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks, i know im adviced to see a doctor but i prefer to do it on my own. And i just wnat to know if there is risks.,
Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sophiasunshine View Post
thanks, i know im adviced to see a doctor but i prefer to do it on my own. And i just wnat to know if there is risks.,
I highly suggest that you don't do it on your own...detox is a serious concern even under medical care.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No one here can tell you if there are risks Sophia. There are too many factors to consider. What is true for one person is different for another. A doctor can consider your current state of health as well as your drinking amounts. It is advisable to at least cut down before stopping but really you need to speak to a professional x
Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No half measures

Withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal. Although you do not want to see a doctor I'm sure that you want to die even less. I detoxed by accident because I didn't drink enough one day. Let me tell you it's an experience you do not want have. I was taken to the hospital and everything worked out okay but it just as easily could have resulted in my death.

I'm not a doctor so I cannot say what your experience will be I can only tell you what mine was.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sophia - I honestly do understand what you mean and how you feel, about seeing the Doc, but you know, even if we were allowed to give out medical advice on here, we can't see what's happening with you. Doctor's have seen it ALL before - there is no shame in going to them
Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, ok can i ask how much you were drinking as I just read now that drinking half ab ottle wine to one bottle a night will very unlikely do you harm when detox?? Im confused, my health is fine, i excersise and dont drink more than 1 bottle ever but I do think i have a problem and want to stop. As i suffer from anxiety.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

also ive always made sure i have 1-2 days off drinking a week as i know its good for your liver to have a rest...these days i havent been to bad but craving alcohol is my major issue.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sophia, no one here will be able to tell you definitively if what kind if withdrawal you will have. It doesn't matter how much or how frequently you drank, or how much you weigh. See a doctor if you have concerns, its the only way to find out safely.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

It's not the amount (a large quantity); it's that a body gets used to a certain amount and when it's taken away abruptly, that is when our bodies and brains can go into shock

See a doctor to be safe
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sophia, no one here will be able to tell you definitively if what kind if withdrawal you will have. It doesn't matter how much or how frequently you drank, or how much you weigh. See a doctor if you have concerns, its the only way to find out safely.
From a medical standpoint, it does matter how much you drank, how frequently and how much you weigh. I get you can't give medical advice but that's simply factually incorrect.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sophia, I can explicitly tell you that there are very dangerous risks if you detox yourself.

I would not give you medical advice though....SR guidelines are very straightforward.

I have a wealth of experience with my own detoxes and working with dozens of men who have detoxed.

I have seen many people, like myself, come out of medical detox just fine.
I have also sat next to a man we were trying to admit who died of a gran mal seizure at my feet.

Several risks that could occur if you are doing it alone are seizures and heart failure....if you are alone when these happen and aren't able to call 911 you may die.

These risks can also occur under medical care.

Certainly a doctor can help you if admitted under his care....or if something is suggested for home.

I'm adamant about this...
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok so untill i see a doctor the best thing for me is to cut down on drinks, like reduce to 1-2 glass or so a night?:/
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
From a medical standpoint, it does matter how much you drank, how frequently and how much you weigh. I get you can't give medical advice but that's simply factually incorrect.
It is correct in then standpoint that we cannot give medical advice here, regardless of what facts someone gives us. Asking for or giving medical advice is prohibited by the terms of then forum.

Sophie, sorry if my post was confusing to you, I was merely trying to say that no matter what you tell us about you or your drinking, we cannot assess your risk for withdrawal. Only a medical or addiction professional can.

It's great that you plan to quit, you should be commended for making that choice.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That sounds like a sensible plan to me, as a non medical professional.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It is correct in then standpoint that we cannot give medical advice here, regardless of what facts someone gives us. Asking for or giving medical advice is prohibited by the terms of then forum.

Sophie, sorry if my post was confusing to you, I was merely trying to say that no matter what you tell us about you or your drinking, we cannot assess your risk for withdrawal. Only a medical or addiction professional can.

It's great that you plan to quit, you should be commended for making that choice.
No, no it isn't correct. Saying the amount that someone drinks is irrelevant is nonsense. That's obvious.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sophiasunshine View Post
Ok so untill i see a doctor the best thing for me is to cut down on drinks, like reduce to 1-2 glass or so a night?:/
MrBen is correct --- no

telling you to do anything, besides seeking medical advice for your concerns, is not correct and goes against SR guidelines.

Phew...standing down...I'm just a bit emotional about such a matter.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

SR has a clear policy of no medical advice. The person to discuss this with, Sophia, is your doctor. He knows factors that we do not, your existing health, medications you may take, all sorts of things that are important when deciding how to detox. ONLY your doctor can tell you how it will affect you.

That said, thank you all for supporting Sophia and your concern. I am now closing this thread.

Ann
SR Moderator