Notices

Day One - hair falling out, teeth feel loose

Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One - hair falling out, teeth feel loose

Hi,

I came here over a year ago and did a drive-by. I'm back and thinking that this forum could really help me. I'm in a pretty bad way and know that I need to stop trying to destroy myself. I have been drinking about 1 - 1 1/2 bottles of wine every night for over a month (maybe more) now. My hair is falling out and my teeth feel lose in my gums. I have seen/known these things for several weeks and know that if i don't stop, I may end up in a hospital very soon.

I'm on Day One (technically Day Two, since i didn't drink at all yesterday, but was drunk/hungover all day long). The last time i was sober was about a year ago - I had 6 months of sobriety at that point when i flipped the switch.

Many things had happened up until that point before i made the conscious decision to begin drinking again - namely that i became pregnant at 43, my boyfriend insisted i have an abortion and didn't care what i wanted, he kicked me out of the house (which he could, i wasn't on a lease and his friend owned the place), i had to sleep on a friend's couch in her studio for 3 weeks, i eventually got an abortion because i was unemployed at that time and couldn't see how i could support myself and a baby, i lost my community and network of support, and everything was just one huge cluster f**k of despair.

On my 6 month sobriety anniversary, i decided that if all this could happen to me in sobriety and i was expected to deal with everything, that i would just go back to drinking so i could spend some time during the day not thinking about how miserable and sad my life had become.

Anyways, i have been a functional drunk during that year. i have held a job at a bank, re-kindled the relationship with the ex-boyfriend (what a mistake!), had my 23 year old pregnant daughter come live with me, have her baby, then go back into the same abusive relationship she had come out of.

I have now lost my job due to lay-offs in the banking/lending industry. I have applied for unemployment and will need to apply for other assistance too. i am at a huge crossroads in my life where i have basically grappled for the past several months on whether it was worth it to keep living. I have no family here, just one friend, no job or direction at this point, and the only thing that has kept me going is that i have a dog (and two cats, but they would be fine without me).

I am not currently suicidal, but it has definitely been in my realm of consciousness over the past few months. I am writing this all down because i think i am choosing to "get busy living" instead of "get busy dying" (great quote/advise from the movie "The Green Mile").

Thank you for reading and any personal words of support you can provide.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Spend some time reading this site and keep posting on your progress. People care. Just take it a step at a time. Your hair and teeth will get more healthy, you'll make steps to find healthy friendships. In the meantime, your body needs you to stay sober, and your dog need to keep his friend.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry for what you have been through, and glad you are here today.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR sounds like a ****** ride you've had lately but your here now and you've started a valuable journey where things can only get better, although drunk things might feel a bit better their not really - we are usually just ignoring the problems but sober we deal with them as difficult and uncomfortable and scary as they may be at least we are trying to fix them.

You will always have people on this site who genuinely care and understand what your going through because we are all digging ourselves out the same black hole! Don't feel alone and post yourself out lol cos it will help and there's some really intelligent people here who will offer you some of the best advise I wish you the best and again welcome!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry things have been so hard. In addition to this website it may be helpfull to check out some of the local support groups in your area. Here is a list for various support groups in Sonoma county. As horrible as things may feel, I think talking to someone would be very helpful. There are 24hour "WarmLine" phonenumbers which are staffed by volunteers who have been through similar challenges and strugles.

If you have a chance please Give this list a glance and let me know if it is helpful at all.
http://www.namisonomacounty.org/pdf/...es/classes.pdf

Confidential 24hour phone support line is always available at 1-800-273-8255
Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you :)

Thanks for the messages, I really appreciate it. I especially appreciate the resource guide that SeekSobriety posted...very helpful, and now that I am unemployed, i may be able to actually get some counseling/support services that having an income has prevented me from getting before.

Oftentimes it feels like i could disappear and no one would know for awhile - and once discovered, no one would really be that adversely affected. As sad as it seems that the only place i could really go for support is an anonymous forum with a bunch of strangers instead of my own family (none of them live in my state anyways), at least this is available to help.

I really do appreciate the time that everyone took to help a stranger.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey Kassandra nice to have you along .

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Welcome Kassandra! If you stay here long enough you will see that surely you are not a stranger. SR is like family. A huge family of incredibly supportive people who "get" where you are coming from. We've been there, in one form or another.
Keep reading and posting. You'll find tons of support.
Wish you all the best on your sober journey!
Hugs,
Kim xo
Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kassandra, welcome to SR.

It's never too late to turn yourself around. Teeth can be fixed, hair can be regrown. Sure, it costs money, but that can be earned, too. Small steps will help you get where you want to be, as long as you delay the gratification of the quick "fix" of a drink and look to the future. Delaying gratification and planning ahead is something I'm struggling with, too, but I know it can be done. You'll be much happier for it. Don't give up hope.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Looking to the future - part of the problem

Originally Posted by Zazzzzz View Post
Hi Kassandra, welcome to SR.

It's never too late to turn yourself around. Teeth can be fixed, hair can be regrown. Sure, it costs money, but that can be earned, too. Small steps will help you get where you want to be, as long as you delay the gratification of the quick "fix" of a drink and look to the future. Delaying gratification and planning ahead is something I'm struggling with, too, but I know it can be done. You'll be much happier for it. Don't give up hope.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. The future is what scares me the most...i'm 2 months behind on car payments, my rent is due, my only phone is very close to be shut off, and i am waiting to find out how much unemployment i will get and hope it will be enough. the future is the very thing i am most afraid of facing right now. i don't even want to see my bank account. i'm afraid to answer my phone.

and i have absolutely no one to help me but myself. I'm scared and lonely.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Kassandra, Congratulations on choosing sobriety. I personally do not think 6 months is long enough to get to a happy, sober life. I believe it takes time to find the joy again. Sobertime. The hairloss may be about stress. I had it for a few months during a stressful time in my life. It simply quit falling out when I got my life together. I hope it works that way for you. I did go to the doctor and have tests done. If it continues, you may want to do that. Whatever trials you are going thru, I don't think drinking is the answer. I'm sending you my very best regards. Love and a hug too.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
Hi Kassandra, Congratulations on choosing sobriety. I personally do not think 6 months is long enough to get to a happy, sober life. I believe it takes time to find the joy again. Sobertime. The hairloss may be about stress. I had it for a few months during a stressful time in my life. It simply quit falling out when I got my life together. I hope it works that way for you. I did go to the doctor and have tests done. If it continues, you may want to do that. Whatever trials you are going thru, I don't think drinking is the answer. I'm sending you my very best regards. Love and a hug too.
Thank you, pinkdog. you wouldn't know because i didn't tell my history of recovery/sobriety in the original post, but I have had more than 6 months of sobriety before - my last go-round before that was 14 months of sobriety.

I was not a dry drunk during that time, in fact, sobriety came to me rather easily. After rehab, i spent the next 12 months with no cravings whatsoever. the last 7 months of that period of sobriety was spent going to no meetings whatsoever. i sort of concluded that perhaps i wasn't an alcoholic.

i agree that drinking is not the answer. it seems to provide a temporary way to stop thinking for the time that i'm drunk, then the next morning/day, i end up focusing on how sick i feel, the impending sense of doom, etc.

I do agree that i need to stop drinking and spend this time - as scary as it may be - focusing on figuring out what direction to go in my life.

Thanks again for the response and encouragement
Old 08-31-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined us but sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. I hope you can catch a break with your bills until you start getting unemployment.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

OMG you went through hell and back Kassandra. I hope you stick with us and you remain sober this time around. Welcome back to sobriety and a sisterly hug to you
Old 08-31-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

I got sober at 50.

You are going to be okay!!! Just keep staying stopped and move forward in life. There is hope!

Be gentle on you and stick with SR!!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One more thing, here is a list of some job resources in Sonoma County.
Employment Services & Job Search Resources | Human Resources | County of Sonoma
There is some helpfull info there. There are many support options available up in Marin and Sonoma, sometimes they might be hard to find but there really are lots of helpfull agencies and organizations which can help get things back
On track. While sometimes the best option might appear to ignore the bills or try and hide from the problem, truth is if you are up front and honest about your financial situation, most supervisors of companies are willing to setup special payment plans and help figure out a way to assist during this difficult time.

In my opinion the worst thing to do now is to Isolate. I am glad you are posting here and I hope you find the assistance you need right now. We care and hope things get better for you soon.

Here is another helpfull resource from EDD
When You Have Been Laid Off
Old 08-31-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Kassandra, welcome...i identify with some of your problems too.
i lost 50% of my hair, (stress combined with poor nutrition, 10 glasses of wine a night, high bp, lost a relationship, mother dying slowly and the cherry on top? menopause! I was 52 when i finally stopped.
drinking makes everything worse, including your finances.
i'm sorry your daughter's situation is stressful too, but you really can pull yourself out of this hole and come into some sunlight. you can find a better job, think logically when you are sober...
take your wine $$, get on a better diet and a good multivitamin..eat to live.
your gums will strengthen if you start flossing and you can gargle with saltwater if they are bleeding.
do you have any family besides your daughter that can support you?
we are here 24/7.
unemployment can also help you find a new job?
anyway, welcome and please keep posting, better than drinking.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Kassndra

some great advice here - the only thing I'd add is seeing a Dr to make sure you're not vitamin deficient or whatever?

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 08-31-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
OMG you went through hell and back Kassandra. I hope you stick with us and you remain sober this time around. Welcome back to sobriety and a sisterly hug to you
Thank you, Carlotta - I can use all the hugs i can get. I didn't even tell about some other things that have also happened because it just hurts to think too much about them.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome back Kassndra

some great advice here - the only thing I'd add is seeing a Dr to make sure you're not vitamin deficient or whatever?

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

D
Wow, glad i posted today, thanks so much for this great list, Dee! I've now got lots of great resources for me to tap into next week. my head is still in the clouds from all the drinking i've been doing, so i'm not exactly thinking straight yet and my "Google-Fu" is a bit rusty while my brain is trying to adjust from not being bathed in alcohol every night.

Thanks so much to everyone!