Notices

A newbie men's thread...

Old 08-30-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A newbie men's thread...

So I was wondering if the men out there who are trying to quit/have quit/want to quit are interested in creating a thread or section. I know there is one in another forum but it never seems to get any responses.

I say this because both on this site and especially other blogs that I've found I seem to find that there are a significantly larger amount of women posters - am I wrong? (If so, sorry ladies! Just something I've felt).

Not sure if this is because men find it harder to open up, are more unlikely to seek out this kind of online group or that men, as a whole, aren't seeking recovery as much as women??

Am I totally off? Perhaps! I know most of the AA meetings I've been to are majority male - but that seems to be to be the case for various other reasons.

If this doesn't strike a chord, then alrighteoo. Figured I'd see what others out there thought.

Dee?

Happy Sober Friday to all.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My feeling is it helps just a few it's worth any effort. Go for it as what's lost if it's within the rules?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure what you want me to say less - I'm also the mod of the Mens Room forum here LOL.

If you feel that a thread will get more response here, thats cool - we'll see how it goes.

I think generally, and culturally, men might have a harder time opening up - I know I did.

D
Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also think,unlike myself who is a blabbermouth, more women than men participate on message boards of all types.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee - yeah I wanted you to weigh in, forgot about that section.

I think both you and Biker are on point. I think that's what was on my mind.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Personally I like a thread where both men and women join in. It provides for a nice, varied list of responses. On the other hand I can understand the desire for a separate Men's Room and a separate Women's Room. It depends on what the person in question is like and prefers.

I don't think that the ratio women to men is a problem. I've been here only a few weeks and I never noticed a problem regarding the ratio.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think sometimes you just feel like you can relate more to other men. Though men and women alike, we're all in this together, I can understand how a men's forum or group would benefit at times. I'd be down to participate.