Notices

Fed up

Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fed up

Waking up all night long lol I just want a nights sleep....
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It does get better, I am at day 42 and I have insomnia as well.. Once I get really tired I sleep like a baby... WE can do this!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are really struggling perhaps you can go to your physician and get a light sleeping pill to help?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Maybe tell yourself that this insomnia and anxiety is just the rebound effect of your body and brain responding to the absence of that central nervous system depressant. Take that away and things are bound to be a little twitchy for a while.

During the first few days and weeks, it is helpful to just be kind and patient with yourself. Keep your expectations low, get what rest you can, stay hydrated, eat small meals. Some vitamins and lots of fresh fruit helped me a lot, and so did melatonin before bedtime.

Your body is slowly recovering from the abuse it experienced, and what you are seeing now shows you that you are on the way to feeling better. Hang in! Onward!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks it's tempting to take extra doses of sleep medication - this nights been particularly bad for waking up i haven't as I've took my allowed dose for the day - but darn I'd love to take more lol I guess ill try again for another wee 30 min. How do you deal with your insomnia?

ps day 42 wooooooot way to go!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If I read I tend to get sleepy. The tv is not a good idea for me. I have also tried to stop consuming any caffeine after say lunch time and that has helped. Apparently your body can't process more than what you consume by lunch or so. Read that somewhere. I knows popular natural sleep aid in the states is melatonin. I think our bodies produce a crap load of it when we're young and then it dwindles as we age. Problem I have with it is if I don't sleep during that window, I get the feeling like I need to go go go. So I personally try to stick it out. Hope you get some rest
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day thirty four and I still have insomnia too! It does get frustrating but I know it won't last forever.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you got some sleep emily

D
Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I managed wee doses here and there lol felt like a jack in the box in and out of bed and up and down stairs all night! Suppose its a bit of extra exercise - always look on the bright side ha!!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Morning Emily Give it time, it WILL settle back down. I went through a phase then of nodding off non-stop. One night I slept for 14 hours, but that was after not sleeping much for 3 days. Are you lying awake worrying about something? I pop the radio on from my phone thru the earphones and it distracts me from anything that's on my mind. x
Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I'm just constantly thinking about being sober and staying sober and all I think about is sober lolololol I dunno I guess I'm just not used to natural sleep anymore - cos I'd drink till I passed out before. It's a time thing huh - just gotta hang in here how are you today Zoe?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I used to not understand insomnia - I could ALWAYS fall asleep. Then, when I quit, I realized (DUH!) that the booze was my sleeping pill. About 2 weeks after I quit, my body was readjusted, and I went back to falling asleep very well. It does take awhile for the body to learn how to sleep again. I got a lot done those first few weeks....
Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hi Emily

I've had moderate sleep problems since hitting the peri-menopause some years ago

To be honest, I didn't really notice much change when I gave up drinking, except that the quality seemed better and I stayed asleep for longer once I'd finally nodded off.

Our very welcome but unusual hot weather had been taking its toll, but, I started taking a 500 mg Magnesium supplement before going to bed and it seems to be making a difference (though it's early days and it could well be psychological, but who cares, if it works?)

Hope you get some relief soon!