Feeling hopeless...

Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling hopeless...

I have 4 children 3 of which are addicts how many other people out there have more than 1 addicted child I feel overwhelmed and hopeless....
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You need to let go, Nana04. You can only look after yourself. If they are adults they have to fend for themselves, addiction and all. Yes, easier said than done but we need to do it. I have a son, who is struggling with addiction, my other son was also dabbling in pot but has thankfully given up and is now doing well. Just let go and let god - just think that god must love them more than we do and has a plan for them which we do not know ...
Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Nana. Wow. I'm so sorry you are struggling over your children's choices. Do you participate in any self-care? Al-anon or private therapy. I have found a great deal of serenity since I made the decision to let go of my end of the rope. It was essentially holding my son up. Once I switched the focus to what I COULD control ( my actions, my responses, my boundaries, MY recovery)...My outlook really changed. Sometimes we have to step out of the way so their own higher power can step in. It's okay to practice self-love. And, you never know, by setting that example one or all may find the confidence to start loving themselves again. They can choose recovery at any time...today could be the day. Big hug to you tonight.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like lizwig, I found serenity, hope, strength, courage, and a lot of self awareness in the rooms of Nar-Anon or Al-Anon (if there isn't a Nar-Anon meeting near you, Al-Anon is a great alternative), also through private therapy, and right here on SR.

My son is a recovering meth/heroin addict (his drug of choice for a very long time was simply.....more).

We don't have to go through this alone. There is help.

And we'll walk with you.

It is possible to find serenity, whether the addict continues to use....or not.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TMZ

Nana04,
I know the feeling ! I have 2 AS and have been dealing with A for over 15 years now. It seams to be an ebb and flow for them they get clean and thing start getting better. I gain hope back then all of a sudden they use again. I have come to the realization that relapse is just part of recovery. I just hope they get enough clean time in to realize the drug is what pulls them down.

I have found strength, hope, and serenity in my Nar-Anon family group. I find hope in the members of NA that meet at the same time my group meets. I know there is recovery, I see it. I know by working the program and the steps I to can influence my addict's. The my slip (fall off the wagon.) I simply tell them to get back on and fix it themselves. I have done my part, I put them through rehab three times each. Now they need to seek there own help. All I can give them or offer them is guidance and love. I will feed them a meal every now and then but that's it.

Letting go and letting God was the single hardest thing in the world I have ever had to do. But from knowing they could OD at any time and I would loose them any how I draw my strength. It is in Gods hands and I have no right to stand in his way. I have no right ti cheat my children out of growing up. It is there life and life has lessons of it's own to teach them.

They both relapsed again just 3 weeks ago. One has already sought out help. Never the less it still does not get easier no matter how many time I go through it. I have to have faith and hope they find recovery. I know I love them and I am too close to them to help them find recovery. I know they must want it and seek it out for themselves. I know it will take professional help and I am to close to really help.

Keep reading here at SR and read some of the addicts posts. Also keep posting, especially when your week and just need a hug or some comfort. We are all in this together and we all need to talk about the disease openly to find the answers.

((( Nana04)))