Notices

Made it through bank holiday.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through bank holiday.

Well I've made it through the bank holiday weekend without giving in to temptation. Tomorrow will be 2 whole weeks sober and i'm upping my game and gonna start hitting the gym again. I have felt a mixed bag of emotions over the last week or so and can honestly say i'm starting to see cracks of light appearing through the darkness. I hope and pray I can keep this up and stay focused and positive because I don't ever want to go back to the way I was. The thing that scares me the most is that if anything bad happens for any reason then I don't know how I will react to bad stuff and am afraid I will run to the drink. I guess time will tell how I will be able to cope with life situations sober.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Way to go!!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

RJY ,

Life is full of up's and down's i'm sure you'll deal with them like anyone else afterall nothing is forever ..

Congratulations on the 2 weeks .

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Well done, you! I remember feeling so proud when I stayed sober on Valentine's Day even though we were offered free champagne with our meal!

I understand your fear about possible relapse in difficult situations. From reading experiences here, I think it's a good thing to always be on your guard, but every time you pass a new landmark or a new 'first' your motivation and resolve will get stronger.

Here's to a new sober life!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Two weeks that is fabulous. Life is always going to be full of ups and downs, but we have to decide how to handle those ups and downs without picking up that first drink. I for one need to relearn how to handle life on life's terms one day at a time.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Before anything bad happens is a good time to come up with some ideas for how to handle bad stuff. Rather than thinking, "I don't know how to handle a bad situation," try thinking, "No matter what happens I don't want to go back to the he11 of drinking. I'll work on learning new coping skills." Here's a few to you might consider:
  • post on SR
  • get a journal and write down your feelings/what happened to 'let out' the emotions
  • go for a walk
  • hit the gym
  • make a cup of tea
  • hide in bed until you're feeling better
  • punch a pillow
  • take a hot shower
  • go for a drive and listen to loud music on the radio
  • take a hike
  • if it's a problem that can be solved, rather than drinking over it, brainstorm some solutions and get on with solving the problem.