Notices

Wishing to be a dog...

Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wishing to be a dog...

We have just been visited by our grandchildren. Two girls and one boy. At times I would sit there watching the oldest girl pet our little dog. And I looked at her face and what I saw there was love like I have rarely seen in all my years. And I thought to myself, “I would be a dog if I could be loved like that! Someone with that look, that smile, that said “It’s going to be all right. I’m here. I’ll always be here.” And I wondered how it was possible to lose all that by addiction and how one might make the long journey back. And whether there was someone, something, that might love us as that little dog was loved.
So what brought me back to what I once was, when it had seemed that all was lost? Was it something that I did all alone? Or was I a stray dog, found by a little girl who looked down and said, “It’s going to be all right. I’m here. I’ll always be here”?

W.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lovely post! I've always wanted to come back as a dog... as long as I could be one of my dogs - spoiled rotten...
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a beautiful observation, W. I loved it.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I like being the human, the unconditional love I see in my dogs' eyes helps me get through many days. Plus, there is always "someone" happy to see me when I get home!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi painter, being a dog is great. haha Hugs to you from pinkdog.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How nice to have such a visit today W - a visit from your three lovely grandchildren. They sound like wonderful young people. Perhaps you are the 'lucky dog' after all? Have a great day and I'm glad you are able to enjoy such fond memories and can cherish such nice visits with your loving family.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

P.S. Note that i did not mention cats because I suspect that "debates as to whether cats are more suitable objects of affection than dogs are forbidden on this forum. Respect between animal addicts is essential for recovery." (Actually there is no such thing as recovery from an animal addiction).

W. (Terminal Dogaholic)
Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Painter,
This a lovely post and made my day. Our companion animals are so important. I love my dog, Maggie, very much and she gets me through some very tough days. In return I've made her a mega-princess around this house. The least I could do for all she does for me. Yup, there are times I envy her. Especially when she goes back to bed and I tiredly shuffle off to work.

Peace,
Cas