Notices

Day 1 again

Old 08-24-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

I so want to leave alcohol behind for good. In the past I have been sober for a period of weeks months and even years. 2 nights ago I can home in the back of squad car 'for my own safety'. I am a 46yr old professional for chrissakes.

I want to stop for good now. AA is not for me. Any suggestions welcome!

Close
Old 08-24-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Hi and welcome! I am 46, too. Welcome to the site. There is plenty of great support here. The good news is that you never have to drink again starting right now.

The secular recovery section on this site has lots of good information on alternative approaches. I personally think that SMART recovery has very useful tools for achieving sobriety.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Whatever choice of recovery you choose self honesty is a top requirement. Next will be not picking up the first drink so you don’t have to get sober AGAIN. These 2 things I learned many years ago at AA along with a few million others. What ever program is used we have to WORK it and not just mouth the words. There is a lot of good help here available if you just ask. Good luck as the path can be bumpy but many have the rewards for following it.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Hi and welcome! I am 46, too. Welcome to the site. There is plenty of great support here. The good news is that you never have to drink again starting right now.

The secular recovery section on this site has lots of good information on alternative approaches. I personally think that SMART recovery has very useful tools for achieving sobriety.
Thanks Jazzfish . I really want to get alcohol go for good. But every now and then that old Alcoholic Voice comes at me (often if I'm bored or stressed). I think through it, and then decide to drink. How insane is that. After everything that has happened to me through drink. Every single time i drink something horrible happens. At the very least I am suicidal for a few days.
I'm well aware I cant be happy or progress in any way of my life if I continue like this. Life is to ne enjoyed not endured, yes?

I wish there was some kind of brain transplant that would help me. I'm pretty ok mostly. But when I drink I can really xxxx thinks up.

Thanks for listening,
Close

Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whatever method you choose to stop drinking, you can always count on lots of support here.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Originally Posted by closetored View Post
I so want to leave alcohol behind for good.
Woo Hooo

Freedom is yours if you want to work for it , welcome along

m
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome closetored! I'm so glad you found us. We all understand what it's like to reach that point - you'll find plenty of help here.

I hope you'll stay with us and keep reading & posting. I was even older than you when I joined, and I found the support & friendship to be amazing. (I never left ). Be proud of yourself for seeing the light and reaching out for help. You can stop for good, closetored - we know you can.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome closetored

sounds like you need to do something.

If AA's not for you have you considered other programmes - SMART, lifering, Rational Recovery?

is rehab an option?

D
Old 08-24-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome to SR. This community has really helped me.

I wonder what keeps leading you back to the addiction being active again?