Notices

My Thoughts on Sick Time and Recovery

Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Thoughts on Sick Time and Recovery

I actually just responded to another post where I bought this up but I figured it is worth throwing out to the rest.

One thing I've read quite a bit since just becoming a member is that people experiece allot of anxiety about returning to their jobs in the early days of detox.

This is certainly understandable. Most people, like it or not, view us as undisciplined people who cannot control their impulses. When we show up in the office, slightly dishoveled, casually late and stinking like a Gin Mill despite a whole tin of Altoids, it raises eyebrows and creates buzz.

One thing I know for sure is this: By the time we realize that it is time to detox, everyone else around us probably knew long ago.

If you need time off, take it but do so wisely. Most employers offer paid time off. Also, the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) offers protection. If you work for a large employer in the United States (I cannot speak for other juristictions), your HR staff likely have a separate group established to handle Absence Management.

You're issues are completely confidential and your manager will not know the reasons unless you tell them. The HR staff wont even know.

You would need to have your Doctor fil out a form. Bringing in your doctor is always a good idea. After many failed attempts, this time I got my doc involved and I can already see that it will be success factor.

Think about it. If you got arrested for a crime tomorrow; one that could result in you doing time (you know, loosing part of your life to a factor that you couldn't control), you wouldn't go to court without an attorney, right?

Anyway, this short term leave of absense, usually up to 5 days, protects your job and that sick time cannot be used against you for performance reasons. The Department of Labor has absoltuely not tollerance for employers screwing with FMLA. HR people don't either.

Just an idea and I hope it helps. I think the thing we should all bear in mind is that there are resources and tools at our disposal. This isn't 1950 anymore. There is no reason to suffer in silence with this.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent information SLB. So glad you posted it. There is nothing more important than doing what we need to do in addressing addiction.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is good information. Here are the guidelines that must be met. Applies to private sector employer who employee 50 or more employees in a 75 mile radius, you must have worked for the company for at least 12 months and have logged 1250 hours in the last 12 months.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm
Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
It is good information. Here are the guidelines that must be met. Applies to private sector employer who employee 50 or more employees in a 75 mile radius, you must have worked for the company for at least 12 months and have logged 1250 hours in the last 12 months.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm
Thanks LuLu. That's good follow up information. Also, keep in mind, everyone, that FMLA is but one option. If you do work for a larger company, and you're having difficulty, don't assume that if you don't meet this criteria that there are no options. Most employers will have an Absence Management team in place to help with these matters and guide you towards a solution.

Also, Employers can be more generous with manyguidlines; they just cannot be more restrictive.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think Kayla said she works for a dentist, which is probably a small company. In that case, your only option may be to confide to your boss, or at least ask for time off, as most small businesses don't have HR departments.

Better to do that though than getting fired. And may be better than suffering in misery and trying to hide it. Depends how badly you need help. If you're sober, there will be other jobs, and you'll probably be twice the worker you were before.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
I think Kayla said she works for a dentist, which is probably a small company. In that case, your only option may be to confide to your boss, or at least ask for time off, as most small businesses don't have HR departments.

Better to do that though than getting fired. And may be better than suffering in misery and trying to hide it. Depends how badly you need help. If you're sober, there will be other jobs, and you'll probably be twice the worker you were before.
Yeah, I didn't catch that about the Dentist office. My experience tells me that if you're in that close of proximity to your co-workers and boss on a daily basis, they probably already know you're suffering with this.

hey, A dentist is a Doctor. Most Doctors are empathetic to someone taking responsibility for something like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add one thing. My husband found out the hard way that HR departments are usually in place to protect the company that they work for, NOT the employee. He was forced to sue his employer, who pressured him to continue working while extremely ill (his boss brought files to the hospital, even wanted him to have a copier in his hospital room!). We had to have something called a global mediation, and HR did everything in their power to protect the company, not my husband. Our lawyer told us that this is normal. The moral of this story is know your rights, and don't expect HR to be batting for you. Maybe your company is different, but then again, that's what we thought of this "Christian" company.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very true, longbeachone. I have worked in HR/Employee Benefits for over 20 years and qualifying for FMLA is always a battle unless a baby is born as that is pretty cut and dry. Most HR people are pawns of the company and are told to protect the bottom line and productivity. I had a couple employers who bent over backwards to accommodate their employees but that was the exception instead of the rule. The reason I posted the FAQs is so that people can know their rights and go in armed with correct information when they do meet with HR.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
Very true, longbeachone. I have worked in HR/Employee Benefits for over 20 years and qualifying for FMLA is always a battle unless a baby is born as that is pretty cut and dry. Most HR people are pawns of the company and are told to protect the bottom line and productivity. I had a couple employers who bent over backwards to accommodate their employees but that was the exception instead of the rule. The reason I posted the FAQs is so that people can know their rights and go in armed with correct information when they do meet with HR.
Like you, I've been in the HR/Benefits arena for about 20 years. My experience is that you're absolutely correct on one point. HR is there to protect the companies interest; however, at times, that means protecting the company against line managers whose actions could easily get the company sued. some managers have no business managing people and are a constant risk to the company.

RE: FMLA. I'm a little suprised by your comments. I've never seen a problem getting FMLA approved when a Doctor signs off on the forms. In fact, I recently took FMLA myself for a medical issue.

As for the earlier poster whose husband was forced to do work from his Hospital bed. I don't even know what to say to that. I can't speak for other parts of the country but in Mass that probably wouldn't fly.

My point in bringing this up is not to encourage everyone to flood their HR peopel with FMLA requests. I just think that FMLA or some form of LOA might be a better option that frequent sick calls. As someone with an HR background and someone who has managed large organizations of people, personally, and I might be alone on this, I would rather someone do a legite Leave, get healthy and come back 100%. I hate just getting sick calls all the time because it's like you're rolling the dice....."is johnny coming in today".