Notices

Really need support to make Day 1

Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really need support to make Day 1

As a lot of you know I have been trying to a while. Decided to start my own thread, and maybe I can finally make it today. All posts welcome.

Is there anyone else out there trying for Day 1 today? Again?

I have had so much sobriety-can't believe I am having such trouble.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pamel and remember we all started with day one and reality, everyday, is day one. One day at a time.

For me I had to look at why I was having trouble. What was it that was really keeping me from sobriety. The withdrawals and cravings are obvious but for me there was something deeper, something I was afraid of that was my main issue.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your new thread is a fantastic start pamel
Stay positive. It's hard I know. I'm on day 7 now - I've been
Old 07-27-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your new thread is a fantastic start pamel
Stay positive. It's hard I know. I'm on day 7 now - I've been on day 1 a few times recently but it feels great to be where I am now. I'm still struggling with a few things but overall I don't regret not drinking. You know you can do this...
Go for it!!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pamel, God bless you, if you want it or not. I obviously don't know your situation and if AA has helped you get sober before all I can relate is my little experience. I bounced around AA for about 2 years with a head of AA and a belly full of booze which is about as bad as coming back. I'm not or ever was religious but did /do believe in a higher power, not me, so one day while sick and tired of being sick and tired I did what I heard at meetings so out of desperation got on my knees and said something like "please God help me stop drinking". BFTGOG I haven't had the desire to drink for over 30 years. I believe a positive attitude helps when we are ready. BE WELL
Old 07-27-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Pamel,

I wonder if there is anything different right now that is affecting your present efforts at sobriety. I assume you know all the good that can come from not drinking considering you have had so much sobriety in the past.

So much of my life is about patterns that now that i've established one that does not involve alcohol, it is so much easier to not drink. The key, for me at least, is not to fall into those old patterns.

Good luck to you and hope one of these responses gives you the help you need.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go go go Pamel, you can do it! One minute at a time if necessary.

I've been sober for decent periods and then gone back out for months a few times. When I got sober this time it took a few months of getting sober for a few days and then slipping again so I know what it's like to struggle. Now I am 46 days sober and it's gotten easier and I feel so much better. So can you.

I'm pulling for you.

Just know you have another Marylander in your corner.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm with you, Pamel.

Sent from my iPod touch using SoberRecovery
Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you have to stay in and white knuckle it to get through day one then that's what you have to do! If you are no stranger to sobriety you know it gets easier. Try to remember that. Also maybe try to be "the observer" , the person watching the person. Observe your craving, let it wash over you, and watch how it eventually just fades and disappears. You can do this! We are all rooting for you!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rooting for you pamel,
I've been a bit of a serial slipper myself & over the last 5 years have been at day one many times,, thing is though a positive attitude counts for loads regardless of the day count. Your a fighter and its great to see your determination. You can and will do this. The days turn into weeks turn into months, but at the end of the day the first awake this morning is the longest sober as they say.
Sending you best wishes.
Ando
Old 07-27-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

two weeks & 1 day into my Day 1. one day at a time sometimes seems passe. but at the end of the day, it's still 1 day.

"never compromise yourself, you are all you've got" Janis Joplin
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Pamel, I've noticed you mention a number of times that you've had significant lengths of sobriety in the past. Maybe that's one of the hurdles you're having in getting past day one now? Try to live sober just for today. Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, so try to just live in the present. It's obvious you want it, good to see you being so honest in these forums. You can do this!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Pamel, YOU CAN DO THIS!

What is your plan today to stay away from alcohol?
Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pamel

I spent my day 1 only eating, sleeping and drinking water.
Day 1 is only once. Cause tomorrow is already day 2.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LDT

We all have to start somewhere. This is a good day for #1. I'm pulling for you, Pamel.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Pamel - just letting you know we are here for you. I'm sure it has been a challenge, but I often feel that almost nothing truly worth having in life comes easily. Sobriety is a test of our endurance and our minds get split in two wanting that drink but pushing it away... It's not easy. I had many MANY day 1's myself. Good for you on not giving up. You can do this.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Pamel! I too am on Day One once again! I have had it this time. Was doing great until I had one drink. Then the binge began. No more!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Hi my friend : I'm so glad to see you reaching out , it's good . There's many here rooting for you. See it , believe it.

Dig deep , within you , for that extra strength. It's there. I know it is

Tr
Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In the first day or two of my sobriety I made a list of about a dozen things I could do INSTEAD of drinking..like "post on SR" or "go to AA meeting". I also only committed to be sober "right NOW". I couldn't think of tomorrow, let alone the rest of my life...only right now. I face the now and its arriving situations sober. It's the challenge..dealing with my present life..sober. I'm still not a member of AA but believe me, just going to a meeting and listening remains one of my options BEFORE picking up a drink if it gets to that. I have had some anxious moments..yes, and I have realized it is often when I get out of my "now" and start thinking about or having mental pictures of what lies ahead.

I have seen your name on threads the last few days...what is happening before you're picking up? What's triggering you? What could you do instead?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and replies everyone; it's past noon and I have made it this far...

FourSeasons, I am glad to have a pal in this Day 1 (again) stuff. The bf wonders why I am so "antsy" but then he doesn't know I have been drinking since a week of sobriety 12 days ago.