Notices

New here but really...please understand

Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here but really...please understand

HI all.. I am not around the block to recovery without telling . Ny long sad and sometimes long story I have been in recovery before and I am having an extremely hard time getting back. A lot of the people I initially got sober with r now over 20 yrs sober...how do I crawl back into those rooms? Or should I just try SR forums love this as wellĄ @
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you want to go back to those rooms? I have only been sober for 5 months, and so I am not much for advice. SR has helped me through these last five months every single day. I guess it is up to you with what you think is best for your life. We are here for you and all forms of recovery are accepted on this forum. I am happy that you found us.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi joyousone

I think anyone worth their salt remembers what it was like, and the good folks, the folks who really embrace the 12 steps and what they mean won't pass judgement on you or look down on you

D
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think that anyone will judge you or blame you, think less of you, or look down on you. I know it is really nerve wracking and maybe even scary to think about walking in there and 'facing' them, but it will get easier each time you do. Everyone in those rooms will understand what a hard and powerful decision you have made by trying to get sober, regardless of what has happened in your past

If you want to go to AA or give it a try, try. You can even go to meetings in a different part of your city if you are nervous about seeing someone you may know

Good luck and welcome
Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi joyousone welcome!

I would say don't think about it as "crawling" back into the rooms...think of it as coming home

everyone in recovery knows the struggle and how hard it can be. So happy for you that you are making the choice to change your life, be proud of yourself!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Joyousone - If you want to go back, then GO back I too, think that people there would much prefer to see you back there, than see you walking out of a bar.
If, (which I doubt), any one of them feels./says anything other than 'welcome', then I personally think it just shows what a sanctimonious A-hole they are and not worth knowing anyway.
I doubt that would happen - you go 'home' and feel safe and happy again X
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered

The friends I came in with have 24 years clean. I came crawling back years later and have 4 years now. I am so glad I came back. It saved me.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Don't crawl back. Walk back in standing up straight. There's no shame in admitting you have a problem and want help.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. walk tall is my advice. We are people who understand US. In the many thousands of meetings I've attended never once did I hear don't come back, as opposed the thousands of "KEEP COMING" which led me to plug the jug years ago. BE WELL
Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I agree that you don't have to crawl back in. Walk in there with your head held high. You have as much right to be in there as anyone else. A relapse is a relapse and it is not who you are. It doesn't define you as a person. People in AA who are working a good program will not judge you. They'll welcome you back with open arms, draw close to you and give you the help you need.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful

The people I came in with that never went back out have 23 years...I have 4 months.

I had 6-7 years sober two different times and relapsed both times...once for a year and this last time for 8 years. It wasn't easy but I went back. I never worked the steps in the past, just went to meetings...till I stopped going to meetings. That didn't work too well. This time I got a sponsor right away and worked the steps like my life depended on it. It took working the steps to finally understand why they are hanging on the wall. They ARE the program of AA. Go back to the meetings...in the upright position.

I have found that this forum along with AA is a really great combo for staying sober.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just go! Get the first meeting over with. And keep coming on soberrrecovery too. You can do both!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joyousone View Post
HI all.. I am not around the block to recovery without telling . Ny long sad and sometimes long story I have been in recovery before and I am having an extremely hard time getting back. A lot of the people I initially got sober with r now over 20 yrs sober...how do I crawl back into those rooms? Or should I just try SR forums love this as wellĄ @
if theres one thing that brings me joy its when someone makes it back.

how do you crawl back?
look back on what you had when you were in the rooms before. is it better than what ya have now?

you may want to change yer view on it. IMO, its not crawling back.
all it takes is some humility and courage.

seeing people make it back brings many of us great joy.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the encouragement. I know what I need to do and now it really is just a matter of doing it instead of continuing to think about it.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So when you doing it : )