Notices

Reward Program

Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reward Program

Hey everyone,
I once read somewhere that an effective way to quit drinking was to design a rewards program to give yourself something to shoot for. It's a pretty interesting idea and I wondered if anyone has tried it.
The basic idea would be to set goals with rewards accordingly such as maybe getting through a tough day would warrant a pint of your favorite ice cream, overcoming a weekend of temptation might get a pair of shoes or expensive shirt you've wanted etc...
Based on this idea, if I get through an upcoming beach vacation without a drink, I need to spring for a new car! Ha!
All kidding aside, what do you guys think? Any experience with this type of personal goal program? Look forward to feedback!
I hope all are well,
Old 08-19-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My suggestion is, if you try something and it works, keep doing it. I don't think there are any rules in staying sober, everything is on the table.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

hmm not sure, not to be a downer but ... are there usually rewards for normal appropriate behaviour? Bonuses for the status quo? The reward I look forward to is being back in control, whole again, or even for once.
I feel great living better , and feeling it, there is joy in that, yes? Not that I don't like ice cream and buying new sh*t, but not for/as a reward , just cause I can , right?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

ps
go evil empire
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
My suggestion is, if you try something and it works, keep doing it. I don't think there are any rules in staying sober, everything is on the table.
Yeah there are no rules, or rather being in control means you get to make up the rules.
It's just reward system doesn't sound like the right moto , or frame of mind.
But like you said , really whatever works that is the key.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dwtbd, thanks for the feedback,
I agree, it doesn't seem like the right frame of mind for a long term commitment. You're right though, if it keeps working for me I'm going stick with it..

Damn evil empire! I'm still hurting from A-roid hitting that bomb last night..
Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi BoSox,
Just me but when I first quit I did a lot of things to keep me motivated. I found an app for my ipad that I could put personal goals in and everyday I did it I gave myself a happy face. Goofy I know but I liked seeing the faces stack up. I put other things in it too like nightly beauty routine, 7 hours sleep, take vitamins...you know...all the things I wished I did but never did when I drank. After awhile it all just became who I am. Now my own happy face is enough

Oh, and at first I was superficial and took a picture of myself so I could see if I started looking better.

Almost 6 months later, I look the best I have in years, I'm living a pretty nice life, and I never wake up disappointed in myself. I also went 3 sizes down and splurged on a very expensive pair of jeans.

I did a lot of soul searching too but I did whatever I had to do to stay positive.

If it works, keep doing it!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoSox1 View Post
if I get through an upcoming beach vacation without a drink, I need to spring for a new car! Ha!
Sorry to put on my "hall monitor" hat, but just wanted to remind you to be careful with your language. Using the "if" word can be a slippery slope. It's almost like you're not committed to actually remaining sober on this beach vacation.

Rewards are a good idea, and like someone else said - if it works, then by all means go for it. But, again be careful. Using rewards and "bait" are almost like you're tricking yourself into staying sober. Like, you wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

*takes off hat*

As for A-Rod, I'm a baseball fan (sadly a Twins fan) and live in Chicago so I'm saturated with the stuff and play in fantasy baseball leagues etc. A-Rod is about the most difficult player to cheer for, but after that d*ck move by Dempster last night I actually applauded that HR. I never thought I'd cheer for that guy again, but that bomb was a fantastic response to a classless move by Dumpster (former Cub!)

Good luck with sobriety!