Notices

21 Days Sober

Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 Days Sober

I'm happy to say that I've made it through 3 weeks of no booze. I feel so much better without being hungover and dragging ass all day everyday! I'm waking up early and refreshed and I'm getting more energy as the days go by. This forum had been so much help. I come back almost everyday and it helps. I still get the AV telling me now and then that it would be ok to slip one time, or I deserve to have a few and party. I know that would be a mistake. I've read posts by others here who relapse for the same reasons and regret it. I don't know how much more I can stress how important SR has been to me. I'm still kicking the idea around about going to a meeting. I don't think it could hurt. I've also reached out to a few old drinking buddies who are now sober. Life is good and I'm taking it day by day.

Those of you that are thinking about quitting or just started, hang in there. You are better off without poisoning your body and mind. You can do this!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yea early on his rough; but I was there once I can do it again .. This forum I have to say has been my lifeline ...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

this is awesome news!! How long was your drinking for matey and how much??
I'm in the chase behind you.. Obviously will always be 17 days behind but still following

Good stuff anyways, had any bad withdrawals at all or was it all "easy" to manage now you look back on it?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for this - I'm 10 days behind you and it's given me a lift
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great. Congratulations. I know for me, in the past when I've quit and managed to string a few months together, it is literally amazing how good I would start to feel.

3 weeks is a hell of an accomplishment. I'm on day 1 today - lol - so I envy your position. Here is my word of wisdom. For me, personally, as time went by and I wassn't drinking, I somehow lost that urgency to abstain. I figured, just one night wont kill me!

I was in about 10 weeks the last time this happened. 10 weeks of total sobriety. This was a year ago. Went out one afternoon and drank and here I am a year later drinking about 10 drinks a day.

This time around, I may very well quit for good. So, my point: if you're like me, keep it rolling! build on the sucess, dont look back.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea I had 10 weeks as well and just "planned" for my relapse .. Sneaky ******* :p
Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been binge drinking 3-5 nights a week since I was 20 which has been 15 years. I usually would take a couple days off a week because I would be so hungover that booze tasted bad and I needed to recover. That's not to say there have been times where I drank every day of the week. I can easily slam 8-12 beers during the week and be drunk. The weekends consisted of beer, screwdrivers, and lots of shots. The weekends are a guaranteed black out. I was in denial about my drinking because I didn't have to drink everyday, or I only drink at night, or its just beer. But when I was hungover I hated booze and I wanted to be done. I relived that scene hundreds of times before getting enough will power to quit for good. I'm done making a fool out of myself and making myself sick. Good riddance to alcohol!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You sound allot like me bro. I typically leave work, grab a couple of road soda's and 2 or 3 shots for the ride home. Once there, I usually have a few beers making dinner. Couple more shots - sometimes like 4.

Like you, the weekends are a blurry disaster at best. Add to that, a couple years back I was running steroid cycles, which F'd everything up. Picture all the crazy stuff you can do when drunk and then picture, at the same time, having the hormones of an 18 year old, times a factor of about 3 or 4!

Here I am today, after almost ruining my marriage with an affair, feeling like ****, being completely out of shape... I mean, God must have a plan for me because I should have been homeless, divorced, even dead by now.

Long and the short, like you, I think it's time to finally accept that drinking and me just don't mix.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done ODM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations ODM! We have the same quit date and similar back story. It's like having a sobriety birthday buddy!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 21 days.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 21 days Outdoors, that is super fantastic. I'm 4 days behind you and I agree, it feels amazing. But yeah, don't be suckered by the AV! A good deterrent for me has been reading posts from folks who are in the first couple of days, it can be a solid reminder of why we quit in the first place. Keep up the awesomeness...you ROCK!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations

D
Old 08-19-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done. Love the positive outlook and keep it up
Old 08-27-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post, i'm 2 days in after being here on SR last year and trying to "moderate" my drinking till the weekend but I've come to the point and have been told by good friends that its starting to take it's toll on me so I know its time to quit it for good. Stay focused and continue to give great food for thought.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

At 29 days and counting!