Notices

Work a slippery place??.....

Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work a slippery place??.....

I have been off work for 5 weeks due to surgery. During that time had some ups an downs and 8 days ago made the decision to get completely sober.

Tomorrow I return to work, which is good in that I do well with routine and actually kind of like my job. The scary thing is that MANY of my coworkers drink and drug, and I have as well with them. I feel strong now but am dreading the Friday afternoons where my site is abuzz with plans for the weekend, and after work beers.
I don't know exactly how to handle the situation, and feel as though I may need to change jobs. This also isn't easy, I have been there 9 years am very well respected and have a very well paying position that took alot of hard work to get to.
I know if I don't stay sober I can and will lose more than my job. Has anyone else been in this situation?? If so what did you do?? Should I just begin looking for another job and start fresh? I don't really want to go around telling my entire work that I'm in recovery either..... A little lost and scared I will slip back into old habits.

CH
Old 08-19-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First day back today and nervous and scared. Not looking forward to it.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've not been in the situation since I stopped - I was self employed for many years.

I think the key is sober support tho - as much of it as you can get.

whats that like in your case?

D
Old 08-19-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Greetings Climber and congrats on getting clean. Early on in any attempt at clean living it is usually suggested to avoid "people, places and things" that may trigger a relapse. With that being said, true freedom from any habit starts in our heads. For example, when I first got clean from alcohol (then dope later) I had to avoid everything about those things like the plague. But these days I can eat a sandwich at a bar or be around pills and just know that the choice is mine to stay away and avoid all of the ensuing agony that comes with "picking up".

I went to AA a lot early on and it helped me to stay sober in those beginning days of sobriety. I also spent a lot of time here at SR when I initially kicked dope. You WILL need support early on because the old habits will scream at you for awhile trying to convince you that "it wasn't that bad" or "this time will be different". Be strong and good luck.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Climbhigh,
It's tough when that trigger is staring you straight in the face. Usually in a work related environment there are 2 kinds of groups. The group that goes out and drinks together and the group that doesn't. It's probably time to choose the group that doesn't. It might help if you make plans to attend something on those Friday evenings.... Such as an AA meeting, gym or perhaps schedule a class after work on Fridays? If you know you have something lined-up ahead of time you can use that as an excuse to those who are expecting you to join the party.. Also, you will know that you have a place to be in case you get a case of the .....it's! As time goes on and you settle into your new clean and sober routine you will feel more comfortable letting your drinking buddies know that you have better things to do with your time.

The reason why I did not suggest a job change is because quite a few places have the same types of groups. The party one and the other one. You may feel pressured at your new job to go out just to make friends and settle in to your new job. If that happened then the job switch would have been for nothing.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Climb, I have been right there. So many people had scripts, they would leave some in my pez despenser as a gift! I could get percs or hydro anyday in less than five minutes (we all paid each other back).

You have to back off those folks and tell them firmly not to offer or bring it up. 99% of them will repect that.

Clean has an excellent idea. Either pick up or fake a new hobby that has you up early sat and sun. It seems all work partiers understand you dont want to tear it up when you have to get up at 5 or 6. It worked for me and they quit asking. No feelings hurt.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I spend lots o time on here even if just cruising and reading. As for sober support, at this point it's limited. My therapist has given that to me as a task. I have my wife, whom is excellent, however as my therapist says with just the two of us it could be like two teepee poles, in that if one falls the other comes crashing down as well. I did attempt a smart meeting on Saturday (wrote a post on it) and missed the time by 1/2 an hour, but more than that, the area was right in the heart of where I used I go and buy cra$& it gave me the heebee jeebies, and I hightailed it out of there.

I am currently seeking meetings in other areas of town. I do use the gym and long jogs as a huge outlet an means to get that endorphin release. My wife and I also mountaineer and climb quite a bit which is always a good excuse to not go out partying.

I agree that any workplace will have the same groups. I feel better thinking I don't have to switch jobs, just patterns (which I am committed to doing anyway!!)

SR has been great as well, you guys have helped enormously!!!
I really appreciate all the encouragement and advice!!!!

I will keep seeking out some f2f support until I find it.

CH
Old 08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes climb,
I read that post about the meeting in the part of town you used score. I think that's a great idea to find another meeting. Not worth the trigger. It looks like your doing all the RIGHT things. Long walks and jogs are great! That's cool that you and your wife already have hobbies that you enjoy doing together that don't have to include your DOC!

You are well on your way to enjoying a life of sobriety! Congratulations!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks again for the support everyone!!
Today was ok, felt long and did have to endure some vivid war stories from the recent golf tournament and aftermath, but got through and feel strong. The routine of work will certainly help.

CH
Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

I myself have no problem telling people I have a problem. So far everyone has respected that. If you're not feeling comfortable telling them that just use one of the excuses these others mentioned.... Early morning plans, tell them no drinks for you, you're on a new medication, something like that.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DecBaby- I don't have a problem telling most in my life about my problem, however in my industry (oil and gas) I would subjected to alot of criticism and rigorous hoops to jump through if I were to let all know about my situation.
For my co workers I am going to do as suggested above and make sure I have solid plans in place for those slippery times (Fridays, work functions etc) so that I don't need to think of an excuse on the spot.
The dreams at night are wearing on me. Today is 10 ten totally clean and out of the 9 nights I bet I have only had 2 decent nights sleep due to vivid dreams of using or being somewhere really slippery and wanting to use in my dream. Yuck. I wish this would end.

CH
Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

That's understandable CH. I also have some time in though. When I tell people about my problem it's in the past, not something I'm new to dealing with so I get your situation. Best to have plans in place like you said and the others suggested. That sounds great.