Notices

Depression and anxiety

Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression and anxiety

I quit on March 31, 2013 after 35 to 40 years of scotch and wine. I did this cold turkey and although never experienced the dt's I have found myself for the last few months with severe anxiety and depression. My family doc put me on viibryd and it is leaving me with balance problems, in a constant fog, never wanting to get out of bed and almost losing my job. After two months of this I asked him to change the medication but he says it will take awhile for the meds to kick in. The anxiety attacks are so bad. Is this all a part of the recovery? Should I see a pdoc?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was treated for major depression and panic disorder for 23 years, but the worst depression I ever had was during my first year of sobriety.

I think psychiatrists specializing in addiction and depression would be the best way to go. Then again, I have yet to meet an alcoholic or a drug addict in recovery who didn't experience depression and anxiety. i think most of us would readily meet the criteria for a depression diagnosis upon presentation to a doctor. Many of us are put on a host of medications, which in hindsight I now question.

Many of those folks opted to gauge their depression as a natural response to loss, be it the costs of their addiction or the loss of their comfort blanket -- their booze or their dope.

I must tell you that for me, sober time was the best treatment. That and face-to-face support with others in recovery and finding a qualified psychiatrist versed in addiction and depression.

I know that when you are depressed the last thing you want to hear is that give it time, roll through the mess knowing that it will get better with time, that sober time is the best treatment. It just means that it's going to suck right now.

But it does get better. For me, it took at least a year sober to see a light at the end of the tunnel. And i only got off meds for the first time in 23 years a few months ago. I feel better than I have in the last two decades, for sure.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think Memphis hit it spot on. There is a lot to work through in the beginnings.
However, It could be that the meds you are taking are not the "Right" meds for your system. We are all so unique, and the one shoe does not fit all with medications. What about talking to the doctor about these meds? Maybe getting a second opinion.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I would also think about getting a second opinion. It's not uncommon to have side effects from anti-anxiety/depressant medications, but if you feel this is not the right one for you, then moving on to something else might be helpful.

The main thing is to persevere and be prepared to be patient to find the solution you need.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am just taking it a day at a time and at this point feel blessed that I have not had one desire as yet to take a drink although from Jan to Mar was drinking to much due to stress at home and work and my mother passing away. I continue to research info on PAWS and never had a clue to what I was doing to myself. Obstacles are the depression, anxiety and my husband is an alcoholic. He offers little support and tells me I was happier when I drank. I look forward to the day when I feel better but will get a second opinion on the meds. Oh yes, falling on my knees in prayer several times a day helps. Again, thanks, I am sure I will be back to this forum as kind words of support surely help.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Finally had enough of the terrible side effects of the viibryd. Called and got appt with pdoc which will be 9/11/13. Called pcp and he finally agreed viibryd not the ad for me...weaning down starting today....oh yeah, nothing like more withdrawal symptoms...I am going to lose my job over this.....122 days sober, now I get the panic attacks and withdrawals from the ad....praying this issue with the ad does not send me over the edge....wish Sept. 11th were here so I can talk to the pdoc...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing you the best justwokeup...I hope the next few weeks will be better than you fear...

remember there's always support here

D
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had major anxiety and depression when I was hung over. It was bad. Once I stopped drinking it went away 90% .. Alcohol was the cause of mine. Of course I am new in sobriety 34 days, so I pray that it will remain like this or better. I do have my bad days or moments but they r nothing compared to when I drank. I also find help with attending meetings and talking about it... Good luck .. We can do this, the alternative isn't a real life..
Old 08-24-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I continue to taper off the viibryd. Side effects of tapering off this is a lot worse than stopping the alcohol. Feeling like I am being stung by bees and being burnt. I read today some articles on alcoholic dementia and somewhere in the back of my head I feel I have been experiencing some of the symptoms due to some things I went thru last summer that caused me to go into constant panic attacks, deep depression, I quit eating an drinking and lost 35 lbs. i was under drs care but she never recommended ads. Between sept and this past march I drank every night , many drinks a night. I started noticing the memory losses then and one night got lost coming home three blocks from my house. One of the points made in the article is that once you quit drinking you notice even more the little things like loss of balance, memory loss,etc that you did not notice when you were drinking. Now my panic attacks are crazy and mind racing. I have questioned my md about my alcohol abuse but she did not give it too much attention. I should have insisted. That being said I am unsure if all this confusion, loss of balance, memory loss, being unable to speak is the ad or is it alcoholic dementia. Don't even know how they diagnose it.....or is this yet another part of PAWS? I never knew what I was doing to my old body and now fear it is too late....bad nite...
Old 08-25-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go see another doctor that deals with alcoholism ... Get a second opinion. I hope you feel better.. It is never to late ... Stay sober.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about those panic attacks, they are the worst thing in the world. I had them to a crippling degree and twice I've had to seek immediate care by driving to the emergency room because of them.

Since I've been sober though, it has been a non-issue. There was only 1 day that I've felt the truly crushing panic and I was able to manage it and have no problems.

In my experience getting sober was about getting off medication too. I was not given any drugs by doctors after I went through my rehab clinic, they seemed to believe that adding prescription meds to an alcoholic's freshly clean system was not helpful. Of course you should trust your medical professionals, but if you are not feeling well with the medication you are given, it's your right to speak up and tell the doc your symptoms.

In my experience, for panic attacks specifically, I feel most at ease when I am completely free of drugs and alcohol of any kind. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am surprised that after going cold turkey on the alcohol I have not as yet wanted another drink...praise God...but realizing now what damage it has caused I am praying it is not too late. So many multitudes of racing thoughts scare me and how simple it would be to take a drink and forget. There are only two psych docs in a 35 mile radius of the small community of where I live and neither specialize in alcoholic recovery. I am researching to find one within a 65 mile radius and hopefully will have better news tomorrow. Sorry for whining....know I did this to myself but between coming off the AD and horrible side effects it is nice to have someone to talk to. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

See I really believe that we damage our brains by our addiction/dependance and while our brains can repair themselves-talking to someone with experience with depression and addiction (whether medication is involved or not) is very very important (as well as face to face meetings). That person can evaluate the need for medication and or therapy. It doesn't mean that you have to spend the rest of your life taking it.

When I got the the point where I couldn't function (depression etc.) I knew it was time to ask for help from a professional.

I'm not saying that each and every person who is dealing with depression following sobriety needs medication or even therapy (although I do recommend some type of face to face program) but I think that there is a point where it is ok to ask for help.

I also know that when you discontinue an antidepressant that is very important to do it slowly (unless there is a life threatening side effect). The symptoms that you are suffering could be a side effect of discontinuing the antidepressant. I know the last weaning the last time from my antidepressant left me feeling pretty darn miserable for at least 6 months. I remember realizing one day that I finally felt ok but it took awhile. I mean I knew it was the right time to stop taking the antidepressant but I still struggled.

My thoughts are with you.

Congratulations on your sobriety! That is a huge deal. I hope you are proud of yourself, you should be.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Latte,

Again I am unsure what is going on. Doc said with not being on them but for 3 months it should not take long to get off them. Knowing the side effects I experienced with the Viibryd I do not know if this is withdrawals from the ad or something else. I do know I need to talk to someone and I am not opposed to the medications if they help. My family doc has left me somewhat in limbo, not his fault tho, I am the one who did this to myself, but I am having a hard time finding a pdoc that has a background in this disease. Thanks for the support.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

the 12 steps helped me with anxiety and depression, maybe they can help you
Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am very wary of regular doctor prescribing those types of medications (except maybe as a stop gap until the patient can find/get to a pdoc).

Anyway, I did use the 12 steps and I still found that I couldn't function. Sometimes peoples brains (alcoholic or not) need some help. It is ok to ask for it. I love AA, but I sincerely believe that recovery is different for each and every person and that some need help that they can't get in the rooms.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Feeling so much frustration.... The pdocs office called me today with several previsit questions. After answering her questions she said the pdoc recommends most recovering alcoholics also see a neurologist and given the memory loss and balance problems I have had I should get an appt with one in addition to seeing pdoc. Called several neurologists and even tho my insurance requires no referral the neurologists do. So called fam doc....nurse calls back and said they have to send my records to the neurologist for review before the neurologist would consider seeing me and that will take a few weeks. I asked her if all neurologists required this or just the one they would recommend? She told me I need to be patient and if I felt that anxious go to the ER my fam doc could not do anything else. Is this normal for recovering alcoholics to go thru?