Notices

This is going to sound pathetic, but.....

Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is going to sound pathetic, but.....

does anyone else have difficulties making the simplest decisions or a choice between two options? I find this so unbelievably hard and I don't know if it has anything to do with my anxiety caused by alcohol.

For example, I woke up this morning feeling relatively "normal" and I'd started doing some chores I have been putting over for ever and a day, nicely and calmly. I've been having a few cries on and off during the day so far but hanging in there. I had planned to spend the evening quietly checking in on here and onlining a friend whom I told I would be about tonight. Seemed straightforward enough.

Now I've had an invite to go watch a film over at a cousin's house, I'd asked to be invited when this film was available, and now it is and its on tonight and this seems to have thrown me into a cauldron of anxiety and semi hysteria and I cannot decide what to do!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with me?

I want to do both things and I probably can't and now it means I have to choose and I don't know which one to choose and this really small thing is making me get very stressed out and I feel like a pathetic idiot for not even being able to deal with this tiny tiny thing!!!!

Anyone else get this?

D x
Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I can totally relate to what you're saying. I actually came back online to write virtually the same. Was fine and happy when I woke up and for the morning and then suddenly, I burst into tears. NO reason that I know of as just been cleaning around the place.
xx

PS As for decisions - YES! Just tried to write a shopping list for tomorrow and had no clue where to start. SO, burst into tears over that as well - crazy x
Old 08-14-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're just learning how to live your life without alcohol and it's full of new experiences. You'll get the hang of it.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the reactions to our world of alcoholism reactions. In my early times of sobering up it was stressed recovery takes time, a word I hated. I needed to be reminded that the substance I was drinking was/is not a health concoction and might do a lot of harm to our brain, mentally and emotionally. Hopefully this too shall pass sooner than later. BE WELL
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

if ya knew me and ever happened to see me in the store getting toiletpaper, stand back and watch how complicated I can make the decision of choosing toiletpaper.

SR will be here after the movie.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Zoe, your post made me laugh and cry because I can relate so much and am feeling exactly like that today. What a load of old shi*e hey? x
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Movie? Online friend?
Toss a coin. This will help, and don't feel guilty when the coin gives you the decision.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi DS - yes, it sure is crazy times Feeling a bit better now - it seemed to go as fast as it came, though a good cry sure helped x
Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOL! Tomsteve - thanks, I needed that xx
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Prolonged excessive drinking actually damages the part of the brain involved in decision-making. The good news is that it usually returns to normal and things will get better. In the mean time, I've found it useful to write out the pluses and minuses of each option and that usually makes the choice obvious.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Jazzfish
Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with the good advice already given. So much repair must occur now. Be easy on yourself...you are not pathetic. There is no reason to judge and blame yourself anymore as you are finally doing the RIGHT thing for yourself. You are no longer poisoning your mind and body with troughs of alcohol. Give your fine self a break : ) I like Mizz's coin idea...takes the pressure of you : )
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jazzfish

Really? That would explain a lot in my case.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

TomSteve, I hope I don't see a demonstration on the paper aisle
Old 08-14-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I too hav a hard time making the smallest decisions,I had to laugh at the person that had a hard time picking toilet paper,I'm the same way .it gets better as our brains get clearer. I think the coin toss is a great idea as well,and whatever the coin says,go with it,it'll take the stress factor out. Have fun whatever you decide to do,life's so much better sober..
Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well folks, thanks for all the advice. Before I saw Mizzuno's post, I decided to go watch the film, then come back and try to online with my friend but later than planned, hoping to do it ALL. In the process of coming to that decision I have run around like a headless chicken, getting my knickers in a complete twist and utterly exhausted myself!!!! What a numpty!

In future I think I'm going with what Mizzuno suggested and toss a coin!!!

D x
Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
LOL! Tomsteve - thanks, I needed that xx
im really not jokin about that toilet paper thing either.
ultra soft?
quilted?
gentle care?
ultra comfort?
double roll?
mega roll?
triple roll?

then its onto amount:
36?
24?
12?
9?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ten or eleven years ago when I first started sporadically attending AA meetings, I remember there was this one old timer with 40+ years of sobriety named George who always talked about how when he just couldn't make his mind up about a decision that wasn't life-altering and where there wasn't a clear "this is the right thing to do, that is the wrong thing" aspect to it, he used a coin as his higher power. Heads he did one thing, tails another, no re-flipping, no best two out of three, just flip the coin and let any anxiety about the decision go, whatever the coin said was what he did. I may not have got much sobriety back then, but I've never forgotten his coin flipping higher power. It's a pretty handy life tool.

EDIT: And now I see Mizzuno said pretty much the same thing. Jinx!