Notices

New to Forum and day 1 !

Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Forum and day 1 !

Hi,

This is day 1 for me.

Glad to me a member of this great community!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hiker

Welcome to SR. You have come to right place. Day 1 is not nice but glad you made it. It gets better from here.
Keep close to this website. You will find it so helpful.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks RachelNorth!

It's really nice to know this support group exists and is so active!

Hiker1234
Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Hey welcome,

I was also surprised how active the forum is. Theres also a class thread for people whos day 1 is in august
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Hiker and congrats on your decision to become sober.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi UKsupport,

Thanks for the mention of the August group. After decades of drinking I think it's time to try a clean healthy lifestyle. It's going to be a big change..
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you Hiker. It's going to feel great to be free of it. I hope you'll find the support you're looking for - we're happy to have you with us.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Lulu and Hevyn,

Nice to meet fellow dog lovers!

Hevyn, I'm hoping you are right. I've drunk most of my adult life and recently one drink always leads to more. So I thinks it time to put that phase of my life behind me. Hopefully sober feels as great as people say. I'm just not looking forward to the transition.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hiker1234
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

People expressive the transition differently. At the end of day 4 though I'm loving it.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Hiker. Great decision to come here
Old 08-13-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement UKsupport. It's good to know that the fog can start to clear up so fast...
Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Originally Posted by Hiker1234 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement UKsupport. It's good to know that the fog can start to clear up so fast...
I'm not in the clear yet and dont know how long it will take. Atm i get night sweats and bizarre nightly hallucinations. The hallucinations are quite bizarre indeed, the first couple of nights i was really really confused what was going on, but now i'm expecting them, so i see them realise whats happening nip to the loo, drink of water, then climb back in my damp from sweat bed.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hiker (and uksupport) I drank all my adult life too. I was so afraid to let go of it, even though it was destroying me in the end. I think we go through different phases as we heal from abusing it. I admit I felt like an alien in the beginning. I knew I wanted to be sober, and was happy about having a fresh start - but there was an adjustment period. Be patient with yourselves - you will get there and it will all be worth it! Then you never have to go back to that miserable place again.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I'm well past the 24 hour point, so I guess I'm officially onto to Day 2!

I'd like to say Thank You to everyone here ! I realize I'm a newbie and only 1 day into a long journey, but I'm totally blown away by the positive support that exists here!
I don't think I've ever experienced anything like this on the Internet. Seriously.

Hiker
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Hiker to SR...I'm starting a second day here as well (after flunking) ...feels good to have no hangover...I must remember that later! I think it's natural to fear the changes when alcohol has been around so many aspects of your life...birthday, have a drink...baby born, have a drink....funeral, have a drink....festival, have a drink...cook, have a drink, etc etc....I'm at the point now where I have to come away from certain people in my life and look for different influences...change is what is needed, albeit scary....good luck with your journey!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hiker1234 View Post
Thanks Lulu and Hevyn,

Nice to meet fellow dog lovers!

Hevyn, I'm hoping you are right. I've drunk most of my adult life and recently one drink always leads to more. So I thinks it time to put that phase of my life behind me. Hopefully sober feels as great as people say. I'm just not looking forward to the transition.
What makes you think that Heavyn and I are dog lovers? LOL.

Congrats on making it to day 2, the first days are rough. How are you feeling?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi lulu13,

I'm feeling fine tonight. It's the next few days that are generally the hardest. You know the time when the voice says "It'll be OK, just this time". Or "You've done so well this week. One time won't hurt". That's when it gets tough, at least for me.

Really, I think we're our own worse enemies when it comes to making excuses to drink. I need to find a way to banish that voice forever.

It's nice to have a support group this time around. It really makes a difference!

Hiker
Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Hiker! So glad you're with us..and on Day 2! And you're right, the support here is fantastic. There have been moments where my sobriety has been "wobbly" and posting here before it hit critical mass...saved my sober butt. The responses and support blew my mind...and allowed me to exhale rather than drown.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are so right, Hiker. I have only had one really bad craving since I quit and it was after I had a really excellent, happy day. It took me awhile to figure that one out! I actually drive a different route now so I do not go past my usual store. Glad that physically you are feeling okay.