Getting back into the swing

Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting back into the swing

A few of the threads this morning were rather rough, my mom is heading back to the Lower 48 to her AB and his family, and work is, well it's Monday, and 1/2 of the techs that I work with are out, my break is almost over... I was starting to feel quite down and teary again. Then I opened up my personal e-mail and found a reminder that the online class I signed up for starts today!

It's Intro to Mathmatical Philosophy. (Eeeee! I'm so excited, and I know I'm a math nerd. ) Just thought I'd share because just knowing that I can do this and the class is almost here has been such a boost to my self-esteem and mood. Maybe the suggestion of online classes might help some one here too. OK, maybe not the Math Philosophy part, but other classes...

I'm not sure if posting the site that I'm going through and offers the courses would be considered advertising... (Most of the courses are free, but there are some that carry fees.) But just the thought of studying a subject that I love has been empowering.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's Intro to Mathematical Philosophy. (Eeeee! I'm so excited, and I know I'm a math nerd. )
My oldest son is a math genius/nerd.
I hear your glee!
*****!

Beth

I would love to hear about free courses!
I am doing a meditation thing with Oprah and Deepak starting August 5th.
About relationships.
Learning, always learning.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The class is through Cousera. Their program is about "connecting people to a great education so that anyone around the world can learn without limits." And they have some pretty cool classes: Exploring Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, Designing Cities, Modern and Contemporary American Poetry... biostatistics, virology, engineering, economics... There are so many different types of courses.

I'm finding it really hard to not sign up for a dozen all at once. Though, it sounds like the classes run for a time and then come back around later.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
A few of the threads this morning were rather rough, my mom is heading back to the Lower 48 to her AB and his family, and work is, well it's Monday, and 1/2 of the techs that I work with are out, my break is almost over... I was starting to feel quite down and teary again. Then I opened up my personal e-mail and found a reminder that the online class I signed up for starts today!

It's Intro to Mathmatical Philosophy. (Eeeee! I'm so excited, and I know I'm a math nerd. ) Just thought I'd share because just knowing that I can do this and the class is almost here has been such a boost to my self-esteem and mood. Maybe the suggestion of online classes might help some one here too. OK, maybe not the Math Philosophy part, but other classes...

I'm not sure if posting the site that I'm going through and offers the courses would be considered advertising... (Most of the courses are free, but there are some that carry fees.) But just the thought of studying a subject that I love has been empowering.
Oooh! I just read and replied to a thread started by LeSigh about signing up for a course they have been wanting to do, and apply to their future employment, and then I see this immediately after!

Just like I said on that thread, I've got a little dream of my own that I haven't lately pursued because of stress, but I'm getting much better at not letting AH get to me, and have been thinking lately that I need to just DO IT, for ME. It's probably not going to change my life, but it's something in me that I enjoy doing. Well, yeah, I guess that would change my life wouldn't it? Now that I think about it in that way.

Thanks for yet another inspiration to go for it! I'm glad when people post things like this, it does inspire others to do that thing they have been thinking about.

You are going to have a blast learning about this. It sounds super interesting to me, the course you are taking. I wouldn't mind if you pm'ed me the site for sure

Congrats on doing something to better yourself, to be good to yourself. That's always a good thing! Thank you!

ETA: I see you mentioned the site in another post. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
The class is through Cousera.
Aaaaaannnnddd..... bookmarked. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I bow to you, oh most impressive math nerd!
Mathematical Philosophy though -- that could get my wheels turning! Good for you for doing this for yourself!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a math and physics geek myself. I love the excitement you are feeling right now!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Praise to all ye number-pluggers.

(I am an electrical engineer by education, mathematics minor)
Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OH my!!! I am an alien in a strange land. I am math and numbers challenged--almost phobic. I think I was one of those girls in school that the teachers avoided in favor of the males and, consequently I was inadequately taught from the beginning. I was considered an advanced student in all other areas!!!

I envy those who nave a natural and easy ability with math/numbers.

dandylion