Notices

Kicking the booze! How bout a little weed?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kicking the booze! How bout a little weed?

I'm back on my program, cutting down on my daily booze intake in the hope that I can kick it without meds... I'm 50 years old & have been running hard for years. I have not smoked pot for years, The last time I had weed was 1981...Remember columbia gold?? anyway, I thought to myself, What if I got a hold of a little weed? Smoked a half a joint? Maybe it would take the edge off? I just dont know? I'll try anything at this point. Anyone tried this? Anyone here ever smoke a little weed to take the edge off? Just a thought...I dont even know where I could find a joint at this stage in my life. Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you're new - but there are people here specifically for marijuana addiction, and many more who destroyed their lives on pot.

I was one of them.

I was every bit as addicted to marijuana as I was to alcohol - I used it in exactly the same way as I used alcohol - escape, stress relief, a little respite...and it owned me in exactly the same way as booze did.

it's not a step up - it's just a sideways move - a really bad sideways move - in my opinion.

D
Old 07-28-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think you probably know the answer to your question, don't you?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought about the exact same thing before I quit drinking too. But then I decided that I would just be substituting one addiction for another. Weed is still illegal and I can't take the chance on losing a job or not getting a job because I get drug tested. There are other natural ways to take the edge off when quitting drinking. Check out my post about tips to ease withdrawal..I just posted it.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Check out the thread on this forum "Some tips to help with withdrawal/cravings" if you haven't already...
Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

tried that last yr , worked for like a week lowered inhibitions led back to drinking, just quit that this xmas, and booze like two days ago , but the thought did cross my mind funny it was difficult to find wed after like twenty yrs , but imo not the best idea

be warned if you try(strongly not recommended) that weed now is way different than years ago a small amount will really do damage to an oldtimer

Last edited by dwtbd; 07-28-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 07-28-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Considering that I did what you are considering, in reverse, I would say no. I gave up pot and almost immediately started drinking to fill the void. I never could get as drunk as I could get high and chasing that feeling led me into the depths of alcoholism.

Do not swap one addiction for another. It will only prolong your agony.

Congratulations on your decision to seek recovery. Welcome to SR!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Bro, Just turned 50...OLDTIMER? I dont feel that old, But I guess youre right? I have now become an old timer? Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

goingdownslo
no ididn't age, i'm 46 , i meant those who haven't smoked pot in a while
'cause if youre old i aint far behind lol
Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Someone also suggested this to me and I nixed it. Why trade one addiction for another. At the end it is just using something else to fill the void.