Notices

Scared Parent

Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared Parent

Hi everyone that see's this. I hope I am in the right spot. I am a parent that it is agitated and scared. I am not the recovering person, my 22 year old daughter is. We are currently attempting to get her into rehab at a local hospital and all has been completed except for the pre-qualifying approval from our insurance company. they have denied twice and it is now under a third review. I am scared as to what comes next. In this process of trying to get my daughter help, we have run into nothing but road block after road block. It is as if they want her to fail. I dont have the money to pay as we go so to speak but will go into debt if necessary for the health of my child. As you probably can tell....i am confused and lost in this matter and need help. So if anyone has anything that can be offered, i will appreciate it.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Does she want to quit?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Does she want to quit?
This was going to be my question as well.

Either way, good luck with everything! Thoughts are with you.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If willpower is high enough there will be a cheaper option. For a start this site would be the first thing to sign up to. What have the docs said when she has gone to see them?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Going to meetings is another option, in addition. There have been a few people discuss this in meetings I've seen and others have given them pointers about how to get into either therapy and or recovery programs when dealing with the insurance companies.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Has she ever had a rehab? Some insurances will pay for one rehab- of their choice. Ours paid for a detox and then only outpatient. They would only pay for in patient rehab after a documented failure at an outpatient rehab. We also paid quite a bit out of pocket for rebab/sober living- that's another story, though.

I don't know that I would go into debt for a rehab. If you have the money, and she's very motivated it could work. But, many- even the motivated- fail the first time.

There are cheaper and free options. Some here recommend the Salvation Army programs and they are free. Also, many times your county, state may have lower cost options. Or, teen recovery?- very Christian based but also very low cost.

And, many get sober, on their own going to AA or working another type of program.

What's her DOC (drug of choice)? Does she need a detox?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Scared Parent reply

Her DOC is Heroine, started on pain killers awhile back. then was getting clean with Shaboxin but relapsed and tossed off program. Now she was busted for possesion in the 7th with heroine. Insurance company says she is using rehab as a way to avoid the law. Judge wants her in rehab but cant court order it and yes, she wants to get clean. She is currently awaiting transfer to detox from a holding center and we are really paniced trying to make it happen.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also, this is her first attempt at rehab.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hockey - Welcome to SR, though I'm so sorry for why you are here. This is a fine place to start, but I highly recommend you check out this forum:

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It's full of loved ones of addicts (we call them A's, here)...moms, dads, brothers, sisters, spouses, etc. You may want to read through the posts and repost there..I promise you, you are not alone.

I'm an RA (recovering addict - crack) and my stepsister is on subs for heroin addiction. Matter of fact, I fit in all KINDS of forums here..not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Regardless, you are not alone. Not sure that anyone can help you get her into rehab, but I promise we CAN help you get through this.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-19-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hockey, Hello and welcome to SR, I too, like you am new to this site, and just as new to MY 22 and 19 yr old drugging it up girls. Please if you have time (a lot of time) look at my post. I, also started out and still remain on this Forum. I was so scared, sad, worried, but this Forum is working for me and I don't want to leave and go over to the Friends and Family, not yet. Anyway, can the court order her to go? Our insurance will pay for inpatient rehab. at the hospital of their choice, I am grateful considering the alternative is jail or the frightening thought of homelessness. I am sending you encouragement, strength and friendship. I will say a prayer for you too. The site will gently guide and advise you. These friends you will meet, saved me from self distruction. Hugs and luck, Twofish
Old 07-20-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scared Parent.

believe it or not, here is the situation. My daughter has been treated for depression when she was 16 and has threatened suicide multiple times in the last several years. However, our health insurance company (BC/BS) of which I have been a member since 1977, has declined her need for Re-Hab. Three freaking times. They claim she is not in need of this level of care and can survive with community programs. Now she has gone the Suboxyn route (Waste of time and money) and failed. Now she sits in jail awaiting Mom and Dad to get her into re-hab or bail her out. Bail out is out of the question. Trust is a issue now. However, finally we found a rehab center for her. We had to drop her off our insurance so Medicaid will pick her up. Really???? That was ridiculous. We are currently filing a complaint against BC/BS with the State Health Insurance Commissioner and we will see where that gets us. To the meat of my problem though, Suboxyn? WTF? Not cool and needs to be strictly or more strictly regulated. Thanks for your comments and prayers and return to you and your family.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

how is she doing? if she can't get her drugs in holding, is she going through detox now?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Scared Parent

Hi all. I am somewhat happy to report that after 12 day's in the Erie County Holding center, our daughter has been entered into Re-Hab. Through a strong effort by my wife and myself and some very good advise and help from the staff at Stutzmans in Buffalo. We brought her there this morning and she looked relieved to say the least to finally arrive to this stage. The next 4-6 weeks will not be the next test. We told her as we were leaving that we have done our part, the rest is up to her. God thank all of you that have given me advise in this turbulent path.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update - best wishes to you and your family Hockey

D
Old 07-26-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How's it going so far?