Need Info... Quick!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need Info... Quick!

Right so my mum asked for help for her addiction to alcohol. The social worker has been bugging her about putting my little brother and sister into voluntary foster care so they don't have to be taken by force. First question is what does that mean? Are they planning to take the kids? They then told my mum that the kids were on a time limit.
Today my mums key worker came for a home visit and he checked the kids room and started complaining about the hygiene. Is it possible that he is working with the social services?? The kids are not his concern, his concern is my mum.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hon, any social worker who comes into a situation where children are involved will have a concern for the children. If your mother can't care for them, they may be better off in foster care if you or another relative can't take them
In.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Not only that, but your mum might be able to cope with the demands of early sobriety much better if her kids are in a safe place where she does not have to worry about them. Taking care of small kids is very hard work, and so is getting sober. Getting sober will help her be a much, MUCH better mum to them.

And I am not as familiar with the system in the UK, but here in the US the goal ALWAYS is to get the family back together as soon as it will be good for everyone.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My Mum wouldn't be able to cope without her kids. They are what made her realise she had a problem, she would only get worse if they were not there. Thank you for the replies though. xx
Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

See, alcoholics ALWAYS think they can't cope without whatever--their children, their spouses, their jobs, etc. That kind of thinking can keep them stuck. Your mum WILL get worse, with or without her kids in the house, unless she recovers from her alcoholism.

If your mum focuses her attention on her own recovery, my bet is that she would have the kids back in a very short time. Obviously I'm not there and don't know all of the details. But if the kids are being neglected or living in an unsafe place, they need to be protected.

Is there any way you or other family members could help take care of the kids?