Notices

On monkeys and sobriety.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On monkeys and sobriety.

Evening everybody. I just turned 25, from England but I currently live in Brussels, Belgium (the country of famed strong and tasty beer... :/).

Buddha described the human mind as being full of drunken monkeys, jumping around, screaming and shouting; that internal dialogue - muttering and mumbling, judging and joking, pulling us this way and that. While everyone has this to a certain extent (manifesting itself as worry, or anxiety, insecurity, indecision etc.), for the alcoholic the metaphor seems especially appropriate.

I'm fed up of those (surprisingly focused and persistent) drunken monkeys exhausting me with their demands to drink every day: you feel good - celebrate with a drink! You feel bad - ease it with a drink! You're hungover, guess what'll fix that in a jiffy? You just accomplished a minor task - reward yourself! Like that Family Guy joke: "let's play drink the beer!", "I did it! Whadda I win?!", "another beer!", "wooo!". Most actions in life seem to justify 'another beer'.

Now, whilst I have to say that (after having read some of the stories on here), my situation could be a lot worse (I'm rarely [though not never...] massively drunk to the point of not remembering anything - it's the regularity and constancy of my drinking that's the prob - combined of course with the constant demands of my drunken monkeys to nip out for a swift one), I know that my current lifestyle can only end up one way.

There are so many things I love doing: playing guitar, learning languages, reading, running - even just talking to a friend without my little monkeys asking me how soon is too soon to go get another drink; but instead...I nip down to the corner shop to pick up a few Chimay Bleu (dark Belgian beer - 9% - does the job). And drink them. Alone.

So now, after several half-arsed attempts, it is time to stop. 15/07/2013.

Time to slay some f**kin' monkeys!

Wish me luck - I wish all of you out there the best of luck also - more than I have ever wished anything for anyone.

Bon soiree.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed reading your post, good luck on your journey x
Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome! I came here like you, I didn't have a record and I wasn't a regular blackout drunk... But there's got to be a way to celebrate without wine. And the constant chatter of monkeys (I refer to it as the committee) in my head.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Even when you sober up The Monkey is off your back but the circus is still in town. AA teaches me how to lead a full and rewarding life even though the circus never totally goes away.

Sobriety and recovery is possible as many here can atest
Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow. This was a great post.! I dont normally read @nything at all. But your metaphors about monkeys was great. Im enjoying the stories. This is a great beginning to my 2nd day of sobriety
Old 07-15-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR!

Monkeys not welcome!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Wegweiser. Glad you found us & have joined the family.

Drinking had once been great fun for me - but in the end I found myself isolated and leading a boring existence. I had started drinking to enhance my life & relax - but it completely controlled me at the end of my drinking career. I'm glad you've decided to make this big change. Move along now monkeys - your company is no longer required.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wegweiser that's an awesome way of describing it. Thank you. In my own personal journey of sober, that's right up there with the ninja style sobriety.

You go kick some drunken monkey ass!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Wegweiser

D
Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

We have a great community here.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Wegweiser, welcome to SR! Newbie here, still finding my way.

This place is such a wonderful resource, and full of kind, generous and accepting people.

You write and express yourself beautifully...

I'm more than twice your age; it's great that you're making this decision at such a young age.

Drunken monkeys reminds me of that vid you can find on youtube of the monkeys who sneak booze from holiday makers. I used to find it funny, now I think of myself like one of those monkeys, having lost my sense of pride and integrity, sneaking drinks, hiding, always looking for the next chance to drink.

Yes, out damn monkeys! It's time!!
Good luck.