Notices

Self control after sobriety?

Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self control after sobriety?

Does anyone have this problem about self control in life in general when getting sober?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I sometimes eat too much candy. And then I get a headache. And I still eat more candy.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I think those of prone to addiction have some problems with our "off" button. I spoke about this in my post yesterday about trying to fill the hole or quell the restless vacancy that occurs when the alcohol pacifier is taken away. I have used a variety of methods...coffee, food, cigarettes, sex, gambling, drama etc. We have to face the vacancy I think ..and discover new ways to fill our time...and "hole" : )
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ACT10npack, I'm working on self-control but I haven't figured out much. Doin great on the chemical independence, tomorrow 3 years sober. I'm beginning to believe gettin rid of the chemicals was the easy part.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My self control or self will runs riot, crazy,
out of control and never works out the way
I want it to. When my will doesn't work, I'm
upset, angry and can cop a resentment real
fast.

A constant turning my will and life over
to a Force bigger than I seems to work
best for me. The way it is suppose to be.

It does take practice and patience one day
at a time to achieve peace and serenity in
everyday life.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What are you having problems with Action?

I have always had problems with self control, that's why alcohol isn't the only thing I have given up. So far abstinence is the only thing that works with anything with me.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me part of getting sober was learning how to exercise or practice my self control. For me that was the hardest thing to do.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I've been experiencing this, but I use the term self-discipline. As in the discipline of learning something, not as in punishment.

I like the classy way it sounds to me...and it sounds less like I am struggling with myself and more like I am stream lining myself.

I had a long talk with myself today about this. I wasn't thrilled with the way my day got scheduled round some other things, but I figured out how to best use the time and opportunities and got some important things done. If I was trying the self control thing, I would have been wrestling with my own resentments etc, but I turned it to "self discipline" and was like "oh yeah...I GOT this!" and feel like I accomplished more than just not doing something I shouldn't...I did some things that I should.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Night owl

I struggle with this, too. Off the oxy my sugar consumption has increased dramatically, like 10lbs dramatically. I find the other things I am obsessive about come more to the fore too. I have dermatillomania (have a thread on that in Anxiety forum if anyone's interested) and that is as bad as it was while using.

Like said above, I have holes to fill and emotions to deal with and things to heal and when I don't feel capable or desirous of doing so, the other obsessions come to the fore. I know if I just keep trying to slowly work on my underlying issues the surface stuff will eventually begin to ease. But it is a long, slow process, for me anyway.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It's definitely a struggle...I quit drinking and smoking and now I have to quit overeating and make myself exercise. It's a never ending battle...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Freefall, I am right where you are, no booze, dope, or cigarettes, as a matter of fact 3 years no booze as I type, but 25 pounds over weight. Never been over weight before.