Notices

Sad day

Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sad day

I,posted earlier this week about a member of my home group who relapsed after 5 years and suffered a stroke. Last night his family took him off life support. He was only 45 years old. He was a great guy and was so helpful to so many people. I am comforted to know that he will suffer no more. I pray for everyone who dies from this disease so the rest of us can get sober.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sally... oh I'm so sorry!! My heart goes out to his family, and you and the AA group he was a part of. I had to be the one to take my mom of life support, so I know these overwhelming feels so well...
Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm saddened to read this. Thank you for sharing the realities of what giving in to the addiction can result in. 20 years ago I would've thought his age was kind of old...now I realize..he was only at the middle and everything still had a chance to turnaround. So very sad.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A great reminder about how precious recovery and life is.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Warm condolences to you and the family, really underscores the serious, potentially fatal nature of addiction.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, that is so young, this disease stinks. Prayers and positive thoughts to you.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Sally.
This thing is relentless.

D
Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Sally3127 View Post
I,posted earlier this week about a member of my home group who relapsed after 5 years and suffered a stroke. Last night his family took him off life support. He was only 45 years old. He was a great guy and was so helpful to so many people. I am comforted to know that he will suffer no more. I pray for everyone who dies from this disease so the rest of us can get sober.
That is horrible! But he didnt die in vain, because his passing will resonate within you to keep going and to kick your addictions once and for all. Also, just sharing his story with other's who are struggling will keep his memory alive. Sadly, alcoholism is a chronic condition and if left un-treated, will always end up in death. I feel for you during this time, but now he is watching over you and rooting for you to live a life he was unable to achieve during his time here. Death is a transition, its not the end. Thank you for sharing this story, and for being you.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you, the other members of the group, and his family.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Night owl

I am so sorry for your loss! And for his family and group and all of us really. It does bring home how serious, how deadly, this disease is to read of another young life lost. (At 49 I am now seeing 45 as quite young!)

My neighbor and friend died of a sudden heart attack a couple of years ago at the age of 63, which was still too young. (Any age is too young to die of this disease!) She was a remarkable woman who touched so many lives yet her years of alcoholism and smoking and untreated depression finally caught up with her. I pray she, and your friend, are in peace.

And I agree with people above that if we remember them and learn from them, then they will live on and maybe help another to find recovery.

Peace to you.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I just got back from a meeting where we all shared our memories of our friend. He touched everyone around the table. He will never be forgotten.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sally how terrible, you have my deepest condolences. I know it's morbid but it reminds me of what could happen to me if I go back out and start using again.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You do not have to be around the tables for very long before you discover that this is a fatal disease. It is so sad how often alcohol wins. I've heard it said that some die so others can live but when you lose a friend these words did not easy pain.

I plan to honor those that I have lost by dieing sober
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

So sorry to hear this news. I hope your friend is at peace now. Be kind to yourself while you're dealing with this loss.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post

I plan to honor those that I have lost by dieing sober
That is a beautiful and powerful thought. What a way to honor yourself and them. Thank you.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thoughts are with you, your group and the family of your friend Sally.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sending prayers to you Sally, your group and your friend's family. I had a dear friend who died from liver failure at 45 years old. Very sad.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you, the family and your group.