Newcomer: Brother's keeper?

Old 07-04-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer: Brother's keeper?

About me: Old-ish (62) but healthy, employed, grateful. My younger brother is physically disabled/in pain (unrelated to his drinking), and suffers from a longstanding anxiety disorder. He's drinking himself to death. He is my only living relative. He admits that he's an alcoholic and occasionally discusses need for sobriety, but (I suspect) has been drinking so long that he's petrified of life w/out alcohol. He never asks me for, and I never offer, money. He doesn't drive (a good thing), so I do take him to doctor appointments and he accompanies me on my weekly grocery-shopping trip. His health is approaching a crisis; any day will come an emergency that will force him into hospitalization and (unwanted by him) detox. I (gently) suggest that entering treatment "under his own steam" might be easier than enforced detox in an emergency, but my words don't penetrate. I cannot abandon him. My earliest memories involve my mom saying, "Watch out for your little brother." Your advice/experiences appreciated.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, SisterK. Glad you found your way here. Can I suggest this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html as a place to start?

There are a lot of "recommended reading" type threads at the top of the page for this section. Many of those may help you out.

I'd also strongly suggest finding an Alanon meeting in your area--it's good to have some face-to-face support during tough times, too.

Again, welcome, and you are not alone in your situation. Please keep reading and posting here. I found a lot of help and hope you will, too.