Notices

Glad I'm Quitting Young

Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Glad I'm Quitting Young

I've been a heavy drinker since 2008 when I turned 21. I just want to say thank you to this forum for helping me quit young. It's day three today. Well kinda, I had one beer on day one, but I'm going to count it because it was the last beer and I just didn't want to dump it. It seems that if I don't by booze, I don't drink booze. But if it's there, it will poke and prod at me.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hello.

Congrats on three days!

Not buying it is of course essential to not drinking. Having it around to decorate your fridge is obviously rather silly. But I wonder what would've been so bad about dumping that last one?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats at day 3! I got sober for the first time at age 26. Wish I had stayed sober. Good luck to you, hope you stay the course! Getting sober and staying sober in your 20's is a great gift to yourself.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

stay sober. if i was that young and could do it all again.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's great news Imabuleva. Quitting young is of course a great move, you can avoid many of the problems others have had by prolonged drinking. What's your sobriety plan t his time around?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My plan is to practice self-restraint and simply not buy alcohol. Save a lot of money and go on an overseas vacation next summer.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Isaiah,

It was probably my ego that didn't allow me to toss the last one. I didn't want to be a real alcoholic... just a "heavy drinker." Regardless, I knew I only had one left and I didn't stop after work to get more, so that's why I'm counting it
Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's the best decision you have made. I was a similar age in the 80s and drank/used on a daily basis. I could sit here for hours listing the people who have since died from that time in my life. Most of them died within 6-10 years of drinking heavily, not recently. For every one of me who somehow survived that madness (I am hardly in great health now) there are hundreds of dead people who drank less for less time than I did.

You're making a very wise decision
Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Superb decision. It's nice to know other people my age have identified problems and are also solving them. This site has helped me loads in just 24 hours. Stay on course! Good going on day 3!!