Notices

Any truth to vitamins helping detox ?

Old 06-29-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any truth to vitamins helping detox ?

Good morning, just spent a little while reading some posts and I couldn't find anything about this so I want to put it out there. Has anyone followed the "Thomas Receipe" to ease the pain of withdrawls from percocets? A little history is probably helpful. About a year ago would take 10-15mg of oxycodone about 2-3x a week. Over the last 4 months its gone to 30-60mg(usually between 1 or 2 little blue 15/mg pills sometimes crushed other times swallowed)I have only been able to go 36 hrs or so without. I have tried doing research over last month or so to find best way to rid myself of this stuff thats how I found this site. I recently found some info stating certain types of vitamins such as B vitamins and potassium are helpful in dealing with the back that comes from withdraw does anyone have experience with this ? I do not have health insurance and don't know how to get thru this period any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

vitamins are never a bad thing but going to NA will do far more for you
Old 06-29-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I haven't tried that method and don't have much experience with percocet, but coming off of alcohol without insurance I found that taking daily vitamins noticeably improved my recovery. I take fish oil, B complex, zinc/magnesium, a multi, and I think one other. I can't recall the dosages but I know a bit more than the norm... just based on reading I did, so who knows. But I did notice an improvement.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It can't hurt. We lose a lot of vital nutrients when using. If we are not getting our vitamins through food, which means more than 5 servings of fruit and vegetables along with a well rounded diet, then taking a supplement is where it is at. I would go on down to your local heath food store and speak with someone in Wellness.
There are safe herbs that a person can take to assist in detox. Check out herbs like Lemon Balm, Kava Kava, Passionflower, Therapeutic doses of Fish Oil, Magnesium, electrolyte caps, maybe a herbal detox kit. This would involve psyllium husk and milk thistle and dandelion. Everything that we put into our body is processed by our liver. This means that we should most likely clean out liver out so that it can function better, and move toxins through quickly.
Yes, Vitamins may help. Once again, walk into your health food store and ask for a product consultant in Wellness/ Health and Body.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by highdiver71 View Post
Good morning, just spent a little while reading some posts and I couldn't find anything about this so I want to put it out there. Has anyone followed the "Thomas Receipe" to ease the pain of withdrawls from percocets? A little history is probably helpful. About a year ago would take 10-15mg of oxycodone about 2-3x a week. Over the last 4 months its gone to 30-60mg(usually between 1 or 2 little blue 15/mg pills sometimes crushed other times swallowed)I have only been able to go 36 hrs or so without. I have tried doing research over last month or so to find best way to rid myself of this stuff thats how I found this site. I recently found some info stating certain types of vitamins such as B vitamins and potassium are helpful in dealing with the back that comes from withdraw does anyone have experience with this ? I do not have health insurance and don't know how to get thru this period any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I find nothing works as well as having a strong desire to get and stay sober. You have to really want this, and then decide that nothing will stand in your way, ever. That is how it worked for me. There was no choice as I saw it, I was sick of the addiction cycle and knew I had to get out and break free by any means possible.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

In lieu of the presence of a moderator, I'd remind those who might come to post here that SR has a no medical advice policy. Includes prescribing non-pharmaceuticals. Careful, so this thread wont get locked.

I don't know what might separate narcotic from alcoholic withdrawal, only the latter's familiar to me. I think Mizzuno is right though that one way or another addicts tend to eat poorly and have awful nutrition. Never been to rehab myself but from all I've heard nutrition is an important part of treating the early stages of drying out.

For alcoholics in particular there is a risk in having too little B-1. There's even a disease named specifically for it. Severe alcoholics who stay deprived for too long can suffer a kind of brain-motor damage, sometimes the damage is permanent. May or may not be what's more commonly known as "wet brain."

B-12 and potassium are both used by the brain to keep it functioning smoothly. I think looking to see if there's a connection between withdrawal and those vitamins is worth a shot.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your comments and advice. I guess no matter what it seems like I'm going to feel pretty crappy after reading some posts on this site and others. I'm not in the position to take off of work and I think I'm trying to find a shortcut or at least the easiest way to get thru this.Isaiah I am going to start B-12 doses as well as potassium starting tomorrow morning in addition to my centrum and niacin which I regularly take. I also will be having a green shake everyday to add some more vitamins into my system(green shake = 3 handfuls spinach,handful baby romaine , juice of 1/2 lemon,apple,pear,banana,handful of blueberries,strawberries, and a stalk of celery).Al this be said my last dose was at 1pm this afternoon. Looking forward to tomorrow. Thanks for your advice everyone
Old 06-30-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just finished reading a book, "The Vitamin Cure" by Abram Hoffer (he worked with Bill W of AA on niacin therapy to help with depression, tension, anxiety, etc.) and Andrew Saul. They present a very strong case for vitamin therapy as favorably impacting withdrawal and recovery. Andrew Saul has a site, DoctorYourself(dot)com if you want to check it out.

In the book, it explains how Bill Wilson was a strong advocate for vitamin therapy, since it helped so many folks, including him.

P.S. It's dangerous to take additional potassium without a doctor's supervision; it can affect heart rhythm. If you're not getting enough potassium, chances are you're malnourished and/or consuming too much sodium. Google, "foods rich in potassium" - that's the safest way to increase your potassium.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks DylanS. The only reason I'm thinking about potassium is to combat muscle , lower back pain and cramping. I am going to check out Andrew Saul. Did not know it can affect heart rhythm. I really wish I could go to the doctor and explain the situation and let the Dr. advise me of the best/safest way to go about this but thats not an option. Question for you and any others members - Do I have to wait 24 hrs before I can post on the 24 HR club page? I think thats a cool thing and enjoy the posts
Old 06-30-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The only thing I'll add is that you get what you pay for when it comes to vitamins.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good idea to check with your Dr before starting any supplements.
Whats worked for others may not work, or even be suitable, for you.

D
Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in the chat room right now and have come to the conclusion I will need to make a DR appt for tomorrow and see what he says for my situation.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes vitamins and exercise as much as you can. Walking, jogging and hiking helped me as much as anything. It was hard when I felt so achy and tired but like I have said before, I would run to my drug guy's house to get drugs any time so when I was trying to sober up I figured I better put the same amount if effort into my recovery!

Thomas Receipe and also check out NA, SMART Recovery and AVRT if you think you need an extra push! All can be helpful.

Good luck!