And the walls came tumbling down.....

Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
And the walls.....

And the walls came tumbling down.....

I've been blind to the world around me, what a shocker, eh?

I'm 52, been sober for a little more than a decade, and the surprises keep on coming.

Recently found out my sister (lives 3 hours away) OD'ed on heroin recently and nearly died. She has had problems for the past several years - she was involved in a horrific accident that nearly killed her. Her husband left her, she is on full disability, blah blah blah.

She has been getting by with a nice house, owns some property, but always complained about how tight her finances are.

Now, I hear she OD'ed, she went on a vacation to Florida and bought a $10,000.00 time share "on payments" and now took out a loan to spend two weeks in Hawaii.

She's always been impulsive, and she is an adult, but I've never been so concerned for her and her decisions.

She bought and owns a motorcycle - We have ridden together a few times, but I caught her trying to use her MP3 player while making a corner, riding with a group, and she crossed over the center line - But she see's nothing wrong with that. She also has MS and I'm not sure she should be riding a motorcycle, but, well.......

Looking back, I've seen the pill bottles, she is a product of the modern medical system. She has been in counseling for literally decades, several months ago I suggested she drop the long term counselor as I mentioned she did not seem to be getting "better" and after 30+ years with the same counselor, well -

It's sad, it's hard, it's life on life's terms.

My oldest son showed up out of the blue last Friday night. He also lives 3 hours away. I work 2 full time jobs, one of them home based, and I was trying to get done what needed to get done. My wife was working that night, he expected something I could not deliver -

He was great at putting the guilt trip on me for "not wanting to see my grandkids" (why did't he bring them) and that he had 31 days sober, yet, he was as high as a kite -

Now is the time for me to say what I am grateful for.

My wife, she is wonderful. My two other kids, true joys.

Time for me to motivate myself and get to work - I've got a new career that I started a month ago, I am trying to learn outside sales. Going to drive 200 miles today - it's been tough, might not be for me, but I'll try another day -

One day at a time.....

Thanks for reading
Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Steve
That's all we can do......take it one day at a time.
gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You remind me that I need to keep that grateful list going every day.

Thank you Steve.