liver tests

Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

liver tests

Has anyone else had AH with clear liver tests although they has been drinking heavily for a long time over 50 years in AH case? Also, has anyone else experienced a link with alcoholics and autoimmune disease? We thought AH had a reaction to his heart drugs but are now told it is autoimmune disease or lupus.
I do know you are not medics but would love to communicate with people caring for and living with older alcoholics.
AH has cut drinking down to 500mil vodka a day from 750. Frankly I wish he would get a mildly bad liver test to motivate him to keep drinking down. He doesn't seem well to me - yellow feet, sleeping a lot and complaining of lower back which sometimes radiates upwards. I do want him to get a liver/kidney scan because I deep down feel something is very wrong.
I can't leave due to my cats and we have been generally happy for a lot of our 23 year marriage. I am 51.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Quish16, who reported clean liver tests? There must be more to this picture. It can be generally said, though, that heavy, prolonged drinking lowers the body's resistance to disease of every kind.

Can you get more information? Have you talked to his doctor, personally, on the phone?

I would not completely trust your husband's interpretation of what the doctor said.

dandylion
Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with dandylion. I have LFT every 2-3 months. Before treatment my Dr would make me do mandatory LFT to get my Drivers License back. If my levels were slightly elevated he could tell immediately. You should definitely take a look at his LFT results. Especially if he has been drinking for a considerable amount of years. It is a fact alcohol damages the liver.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your comments.
Well I haven't spoken to his doctor personally - he has just changed doctors. But I will keep on about the liver scan. He does seem to feel the cold dreadfully. Basically, I am walking on eggshells because now he is actually trying to cut down the drinking, I don't want to upset him by challenging him or making him think I don't believe him. If I ask his permission to speak to his doctor then he will feel I doubt him.
I do know some people can build up a huge tolerance but eventually it still affects them. I also know the liver can cope with quite a lot of abuse before it shows signs of trouble - one of my maine coons had liver tests in October that were all clear but died of acute liver failure in December so I do realise that it can progress very quickly in cats.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Quish 16,

I don't think they fully understand exactly what causes auto-immune diseases and why the body starts attacking itself. I have heard that Lupus can, in some cases, be linked to an overreaction of the body to certain drugs. Another known big contributor to a lot of auto-immune diseases is stress. I haven't heard of an alcohol link but that doesn't mean it isn't there. (I'm not an expert, I come from a medical family and we discuss disease over dinner. )

I can't imagine how your AH has normal liver functioning tests. I agree with Dandylion that he might be lying about this. I also agree that drinking weakens the body making it succeptable to any disease.

This is a little unrelated but interesting: I recently heard that In Chinese medicine they believe the liver is responsible for the smooth flow of qi (life force) throughout the body. If the qi flow is interrupted by something (like liver damage from drinking), other organs in the body will become diseased. They also believe that when the qi is not flowing well, it results in emotional disease the symptom of which is anger. Not a surprise!

Anyway, I'm sorry for your husband's diagnosis.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quish, who told you his liver was clear? My X use to tell me his was fine too and now I know he was totally lying to me. Why is you husband now trying to cut down, is it because his doctor told him the truth about his liver?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Quish - I'm fairly new around here but to this jumped out at me:

I am walking on eggshells because now he is actually trying to cut down the drinking, I don't want to upset him by challenging him or making him think I don't believe him. If I ask his permission to speak to his doctor then he will feel I doubt him.

If he's being honest he should have nothing to hide, if he's lying to you it is reasonable to doubt him. Walking on eggshells is really hard. I've done it a lot. They crack and you get cuts on your feet.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am in recovery from alcohol, and my LFT were abnormal after 20 years of beer drinking, and he seems to be showing other signs of poison not leaving his body.
The yellow feet for instance.

I think, and of course, this is purely conjecture, that maybe the ONLY reason he has cut back is because his LFT was terrible and his doctor said cut back or die soon. It would be what I would do if my doctor told me my liver was giving up.
See, as a drunk, we lie to everyone, mostly ourselves.
Like we are hurting no one but ourselves. But, obviously, everyone who loves us is hurting.
We lie to ourselves about all our little aches and pains that come from our pancreas or our livers. "It's not that bad." "no need to worry the spouse, surely that doc was
exaggerating." yes, we lie to ourselves about what the doctor says too.

Also, my grandfather died of pancreatic cancer, and though I have been sober for nearly 16 years, my pancreas had an acute attack late last year.
Scared the bejesus out of me.
I thought I would die.

Also interesting about the autoimmune disease. Is psoriasis an autoimmune disease?
I have a moderate to severe case that started in my early thirties.

That lower back pain radiating upwards was how my pancreas felt bad at first.
It was the acute attack that took me to the hospital where the pain in my back and
moved up and around my waist and chest, I truly thought I was having a heart attack.

Drinking that much, he cannot be ingesting many healthy calories.

I do want him to get a liver/kidney scan because I deep down feel something is very wrong.
I can't leave due to my cats and we have been generally happy for a lot of our 23 year marriage. I am 51.
Yes, it does seem he is very ill, but unable to quit drinking.
Have you been to any support groups? Like AlAnon?
I hope you find some support for yourself.
Alcoholism is a vicious disease and takes no prisoners.
Please take care of you if your husband will not take care of himself.

Keep coming back to talk and tell us how you are doing.
I am 54 and so glad to be alive.
I am sure if your husband were in his right mind, he would not want you to live like this?
You said most of your 23 years together were good?

I understand the love of your cats. I have a little dog. She is my buddy.
Sitting right behind me now on the bed. She is almost 15 or `16 (a rescue not sure).
Please consider AlAnon, to get a group of friends to talk with.
It will be so helpful and hopeful for you.

Beth
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quish16 View Post

I do want him to get a liver/kidney scan because I deep down feel something is very wrong.
I would push for those test
and
any more that your insurance will approve of
Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks - will try to diplomatically suggest further tests - we don't have private medical insurance and he has just changed to a new doctor. The new doctor told him his liver tests were fine - they were carried out at the hospital last week. I am asking him to keep a record of the back pain so when he goes to the doctor he has information to give. He can get very aggressive when challenged.

In the UK, we cannot access our partners records without their permission. I don't want to upset him by making him feel I doubt what he tells me - at the moment he is drinking less but still a huge amount! I am just amazed his blood tests are always 'normal' given his age and the sheer number of years he has been drinking. Alanon isn't an easy option given the distance and the fact that I don't drive. Also it isn't easy for me to go out in the evening - worried he will lock me out by leaving key in the door, or sleep through his food timer/leave the gas on.
At the moment I am taking things day by day and hoping he is serious about cutting down - I do realise he has to do it gradually.

He has been hospitalised twice this year - once for a heart problem but it was secondary to alcohol toxicity and the second time was alcohol withdrawal when he fainted in the waiting room at the hospital waiting for blood tests. He certainly doesn't look well, and is very forgetful at times but he says that is do the pain. I don't know if immune disorders are linked but I do know that alcohol affects the body and I guess that includes the immune system. He did have a very bad bout of cellulitus a couple of years ago that needed 4000mg of antibiotics a day to get under control so I don't feel he is in very good shape and he doesn't eat very much. He was offered help when he went into hospital both times but refused it!

I would like to leave as I feel I am getting pushed more into a carers role but I cannot leave my pets, and to choose 2 or 3 to take if I could even get anywhere to rent, is impossible. I do realise that they have gone from being a pleasure to a tie but it was our choice to breed and show and I do owe them all the care I can give. Also, if I left I know I would still worry about AH - no way could he look after the cats and not convinced he could look after himself.
Thanks for listening to my rant. I am coping and I am glad that some of you seem to agree that the test results may be wrong or he may not have understood them or passed correct information onto me. He isn't keen on me going to doctors with him, and if I did, and was asked a question about how much he drinks, it would put me in a difficult situation - he could be vicious if my comments contradicted his own on his drinking!