Notices

hot hot hot....

Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hot hot hot....

lost my AC a week ago, cant afford a new one or used right now, cant leave because my truck is broke down. i am stuck upstairs in my room in this god awful heat, all weekend long... im not very happy right now, would drinking solve my problems? no, because i would still be hot as hell... why couldnt one thing work for me instead of having all of them breaking down at once... YES i am whining, i am sorry if i offend anyone with it, its not my mission. it just hurts to be sweating as i sit here with no place to get solace...
Old 06-23-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live in Australia, deal with 90 degree plus heat and have never had aircon - so I know how you feel.

Pedestal fans are pretty cheap here - are they cheap there as well Legend?

D
Old 06-23-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm originally from the northeast so I know how humid and gross it gets! I also never had AC... a good trick is to take a towel, fill it with ice cubes and wrap it around your neck. Then point a fan at your neck. Because of all the blood that flows through your neck, it helps to cool your core body temperature faster. It really works! I got through NYC heat waves working from home that way. Much to the amusement of my roommates.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Hot here too , no AC in my van, sheeese ! Think about it , Is there anything to be grateful for ? Walk , if you can , read , If it's any consultation , I'm Hot , Miserable , Lonely .............( I Chose To Be Alone Today ) . Is There A Creek , Park Nearby ?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Legend. Sorry to hear that, man. The thing that sucks the most about drinking when you are hot is that it makes you even hotter! Hot feet, face, bed sweats. Yuck. When I didn't have any a/c, I'd sit in front of a fan with a cold washcloth on my forehead, and dampen my face with it every once in awhile. Also, I would soak my feet in some cool water at the same time. Take care, Legend.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I bet they have A/C at the local AA clubroom....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-23-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take a break and go to the local library and sit and read for awhile, or take a walk through a mall and cool down a bit. I know the humidity in this part of the world can be brutal, but you can get through this.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same weather here...you already got some great responses. Be grateful you aren't hungover...that would be real hell!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I lived in a room with no air conditioning

And it was terribly hot, I would wrap my unclothed body in an old sheet soaked in cold water and I would just fall asleep that way. A fan would have made it better but at the time I had no money for a fan.

It probably wasn't great for my mattress but I don't recall any permanent harm from it.

I hope things start looking up for you real soon!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for your input/advice i do appreciate it, ill be cool tonight, promise
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

for 3 days it's been very hot here. I don't handle the heat well at all...I like working outside and don't mind the sweating for the most part tho' I sometimes get frustrated when trying to look decent in public.

I am dropping weight to try to control the sweat and blood pressure. It's only 10lbs but coming off very slow. The garden hose is my friend.

Just letting ya know that nope - beer doesn't help. Just dehydratres even more and creates more, and stinky sweat. yuck.
Cooler weather is coming! Did you just get the fab storm? I was mowing in it till the thunder got a wee bit too close. WHOA!

Forgot to add - excellent on staying the course, mate!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Legend40 View Post
lost my AC a week ago, cant afford a new one or used right now, cant leave because my truck is broke down. i am stuck upstairs in my room in this god awful heat, all weekend long... im not very happy right now, would drinking solve my problems? no, because i would still be hot as hell... why couldnt one thing work for me instead of having all of them breaking down at once... YES i am whining, i am sorry if i offend anyone with it, its not my mission. it just hurts to be sweating as i sit here with no place to get solace...

You know, for some reason the lord likes to really test us, especially when trying to give up an addiction. I am not sure why, but I hope to ask someday, lol. I know when I first started recovery, things went wrong like clockwork for a while, as if I wasn't pissed off and anxious enough, then my car would break down or whatever. It always seems to be this way though. Maybe that is why they say when it rains it pours, or maybe its a way to prove you are actually serious about being sober. It toughens you up and if you pass those "tests" , it appears you get on to the good stuff. Maybe that is the reason for it all, who knows?