Notices

Is this the place for an RR/AVRT thread?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this the place for an RR/AVRT thread?

I'm on day 4, though I'm about to stop counting.

I've been in and out of AA meetings for years. I've pretended to quit, tried to drink moderately (two days off, one day on), told myself I needed to stop but always ended up back at the bottle, drinking very heavily on a daily basis.

Until I found Rational Recovery. I'm blown away. I've never disassociated myself with what I used to call the demon, that I now call the beast. It's revolutionary.

I'm not naieve. I'm not some young kid who thinks I'm out of the woods yet. Far from it - I know it's going to be long hard slog through the mud of this addiction, with the beast always nipping any heels, waiting in the hilltop caves, whispering to me through the trees.

But I've never felt this strong before. I only wish I was told of this earlier in my war against the poison. I do not have to bow before it's omnipotence. I just have to stay vigilant, aware and starve the beast.

I hope there are those of you out there who find this book/means of recovery and that it helps you get out of the misery and pain that addicition is.

Onward.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, lessgravity! There is a section here Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information that might get you more feedback, if you want to take a look and/or try posting there. There are threads about AVRT in there.

Congratulations on finding a way that works for you and not giving up!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, secular connections.

I'll bump some stuff up for you.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know about that area - but I think that limits the opportunity for people to find this source of recovery. It's not just a secular option.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well...it is what it is.

The administrators here have very good reasons for the decisions they make regarding what goes where. As to the "why" part of that, it might be better to send a moderator or administrator a pm.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So you mean (and I mean no ill-temper towards you) that posting about a remarkable means of recovery in a forum of newcomers all suffering horrible because of alcohol is discouraged? Only those who seek "Secular" connections should be granted access to this book? Can you pm me and explain why (if you know). Jeez that seems messed up.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
So you mean (and I mean no ill-temper towards you) that posting about a remarkable means of recovery in a forum of newcomers all suffering horrible because of alcohol is discouraged? Only those who seek "Secular" connections should be granted access to this book? Can you pm me and explain why (if you know). Jeez that seems messed up.
No.

You asked where your post fits in.

There are many newcomers in that forum who could use your help.

You are welcomed to post anywhere, but will get the most help and responses if posted in the related forum.

I'd suggest reading the stickies at the top of the forums for info.

SR is very well organized.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah. It actually makes a lot of sense however I also was confused when I first joined here. I totally get it now though.

I can't pm you right now. I have just received an unexpected visit from someone. I'll check back ASAP to see if you've received the answers you're looking for.

I recovered with RR/AVRT. Doesn't mean I'm an atheist or agnostic. My drinking had nothing to do with my spirituality.

Okay...gotta go...visitor looking at me like I'm nuts...
Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm. My sense is that espousing specific recovery methods tends to lead to debates and arguments, which detract from the overall welcoming and supportive atmosphere of the Newcomers Forum.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok I understand. Certainly didn't want to create a debate. I just know that I stumbled upon this book/method by accident and that I only found posts about it in the secular section. Becuase it's regulated to that section I feel like there are many of us who might not necessarily go there and therefore miss out on it. Thanks for all your replies.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Becuase it's regulated to that section I feel like there are many of us who might not necessarily go there and therefore miss out on it.
That's why I constantly encourage newcomers to read around the other forums to learn about different recovery methods.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember the Newcomers forum is open to any and all members at any time. While do not allow debate about recovery methods, we do encourage discussion on any variety of topics.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Please remember the Newcomers forum is open to any and all members at any time. While do not allow debate about recovery methods, we do encourage discussion on any variety of topics.
Right. I need to keep that in mind. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lessgravity, I am thrilled that you have found something that works for you.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna.

I wish I had found this years ago. But at least there are many years ahead.

Thank you again for your kind words.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering

Great that you've found something that "clicks" with you LessGravity. Keep up that enthusiasm for the sober life!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm baaaack.

Pleased to see Anna and others weighed in.

For me, Rational Recovery answered all the doubts and questions I had (for YEARS) attending a recovery group.

It's great it seems to have helped you in much the same way.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm familiar with Rational Recovery and think there's a whole lot of good sense there. I think information and alternatives are fantastic. My recovery program at this point, feels like a hybrid of it all..still sorting my way through one day at a time..or moment.

Good reminder here too for me about what this forum is all about..

Welcome Recieve and thanks for your input.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think it is a great idea, lessgravity. I agree with you that we as newcomers will be served best by learning about all our choices to reach and retain sobriety.

I wish I had found this years ago.
But at least there are many years ahead.
One of these statements might be AV, I think. Best to you, and Onward!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yikes. I misread, lessG. Sorry. Onward anyway.