Notices

Week 2 aint easy

Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Week 2 aint easy

Day 13 here. Last week went good, felt full of determination. This week.... Not so much. The 2 week + mark is usually where my resolve wears off and I break down and drink or use.

My AV keeps feeding me reasons why it's not so bad if I have a couple drinks. My mind keeps playing it out like a beer commercial, me hanging out with a bunch of people, laughing and having a great time...

i knew this week would be hard, and it sucks. Honestly I'm missing the feeling of being drunk right now. Ugh.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Maybe remind your AV of how day 1 feels, and the crappy days leading up to day 1. Or maybe have it go back and read your Valentines day rock bottom thread. You can win this argument easily when you look at both sides, your AV doesn't stand a chance.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will be hard, but it will be worth it, and you can get through it.

Have you made any other changes in your life, besides stopping drinking?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know it's not like that beer commercial
Keep leaning on the support you'll find here Zoey

D
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering

Yep, it is tough after the initial enthusiasm wears off, but then it does get easier over months. I'd second the suggestion about looking at what other changes will help apart from not drinking. That should help move on from the old ways of thinking.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Scott -- good idea on the v-day post.

Anna -- I have made some changes, starting to exercise again being one of them. After work I'm going to workout, I've missed a few days an I think not releasing toxins / emotions over the last few days is contributing to my feelings

Dee -- sometimes it does feel like a beer commercial though. I've had a lot of fun times while drinking. But that usually only lasts for the first couple of hours -- after that I'm obnoxious, make bad decisions, get in fights, pass out, call in sick to work...
I don't suppose a commercial of the latter would entice ppl to buy beer : )
Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right now I would kill to be at 2 weeks .. Honestly I am at day 2 after a decent stretch .. Like everyone says HANG in there it does get better truly I just fell to peer pressure . An the atmosphere I put myself in .

Originally Posted by zoey09 View Post
Day 13 here. Last week went good, felt full of determination. This week.... Not so much. The 2 week + mark is usually where my resolve wears off and I break down and drink or use.

My AV keeps feeding me reasons why it's not so bad if I have a couple drinks. My mind keeps playing it out like a beer commercial, me hanging out with a bunch of people, laughing and having a great time...

i knew this week would be hard, and it sucks. Honestly I'm missing the feeling of being drunk right now. Ugh.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am glad you came here to share that with us Zoey Sometimes I think that is one of the best tools we have, to tell on ourselves, or our AV. It makes that thought lose it's power somehow. We have all had thoughts like that and came out the other side. I always say that if I acted on every thought that went through my head I'd be in real trouble Keep up the good work x
Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on day 14 and I feel bad too: low energy, depressed, craving a night out. I have never made it beyond 16 days. We just have to be patient and calm. I hope you make it through.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a list of things I keep to look at to remind myself of why I cannot drink. One example.

I was in a well maintained buzz (now I realize I was drunk by regular standards) while I served as a cross bearer at a religious service. Hard to believe, liberating to admit and a powerful reminder not to drink because I know I will eventually end up back in that spot

I also keep a card in my pocket with letters AWS on it which stands for: Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms. this is just in case I forget how bad 3 days of detox is.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hanging out with the guys or having a night out.....isn't the real issue in my humble opinion. I used to think the same. What I came to realize as I stayed home and didn't go out and struggled through the desire to drink was the fact that I was (1) lonely or bored and I needed to find something healthy to do...or...(2) needed to relax/give myself a break from the hard week so I needed to find alternative healthy ways to relax and destress. My problem was that I was so used to going out drinking for every "feeling" I was having. Drinking is not the answer. Figuring this issue of WHY you want to go out/drink when you know the consequences are horrible is REALLY key to staying sober. Sobriety is SO MUCH MORE then just not drinking.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. Just did a workout and feel much better, the craving has passed
Acheleus -- seems like we have the same pattern, I too have not made it past 16 days. I know day 16 is approaching, and I'm not going to get caught up on the fact that I've always failed at day 16. The one day at a time approach for me seems easier to maintain, I can focus on staying sober one moment, and one day at a time.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Thats addiction for you, playing mind games. You think you miss being drunk, but its just your mind under the pull of alcoholism. Try and fight it, because its power will wane over time...........but you gotta stick to it. You deserve a better life, and the commercial? It wont go how you planned, it will look more like an episode of Jersey Shore, lol.